Double Major Question

<p>I plan on majoring in environmental science. I plan on going to law school after undergraduate. I would like to end up working in the federal government, but not necessarily in only the environmental sector. Would adding a double major in political science, international relations/studies, or something like that be helpful? Also, what language would be most useful? What countries are going to dominate the political and economical international scene in the next few decades? I've been thinking Mandarin, German, or French. Thanks.</p>

<p>Mandarin is a "hot" language right now, and China is definitely on the rise in terms of becoming an economic power. A lot of jobs in Europe like you to be able to communicate in either French or German, preferably a little of both, but I don't think they would be that much of an advantage working in environmental law in the US, more so for immigration law and other more internationally focused types. Then again, I'm a high school student, what do I know.</p>

<p>I do know that Mandarin is a highlly desired language by the government right now, since I'm studying it, but that's more relevant to NSA/CIA/other intelligence-type work.</p>

<p>Your undergrad major matters very little, in the grand scope of things</p>

<p>how about Hindi?</p>

<p>China and India are the 2 emerging going to be "superpowers" of this world.</p>

<ul>
<li>Hindi is a first language for only 40% of the population of India.
That country is kinda like the fusion of many different countries into one.
kinda like if germany, france, italy, UK, russia, portugal, poland, ukaraine, spain, denmark, ireland were all one country.</li>
</ul>

<p>and how about Arabic?</p>

<p>Since you plan to go to law school, consider Environmental Studies or Environmental Policy instead- you can satisfy your interests in science and law in one major.</p>

<p>Well since I plan on going to law school, I figured that whatever Environmental Studies had that Environmental Science doesn't, I can get that in law school. And that way I would have a better science background in case I didn't like law.</p>

<p>From what I hear, India is becoming more and more English-speaking.</p>

<p>English has been taught in India ever since the British came during the 1600-1700s.</p>

<p>And its taught from kindergarden till college. So, basically Indians have experienced English for thier whole educational life.
Ofcourse this happens among the middle-class and rich people.</p>

<p>Even the central government writes their statements and other things in english and hindi.</p>

<p>English is the "associate national language" of The Republic of India according to the Indian Constituition which was made in 1950 or so.</p>

<p>Afterall before 1947 India was called "the British Raj".</p>

<p>I agree Chinese, in general, will prove most adventageous, especiall because the next century is assumed the Chinese Century. Hindi is not as useful because many Indians speak English. Aribic will be useful. All languages of the UN are useful. Don't forget Spanish.</p>