Double standard

<p>Has anyone else noticed the double standard that exists in american culture today? It's perfectly acceptable to mock, riducle, and discriminate against atheists and non-religious for their beleifs. Yet, if someone were to do the same to someone for being jewish or muslim or even christian they would be shunned.</p>

<p>It's perfectly fine for George Bush (SR) to say things such as: , "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." Or for General Steven Blum to say:"Agnostics, atheists and bigots suddenly lose all that when their life is on the line. Something that they lived their whole life believing gets thrown out the door, and they grasp the comrade next to them, and they don't care what color their skin is, and they don't care where they pray."</p>

<p>No one gets up in arms about bumper stickers that say:
Atheist Day : April 1st
"The FOOL has said in his heart, there is no God." (Psalm 14:1)</p>

<p>I guess it's okay to make fun of someone for not believing in god, but it's not cool to make fun of someone because they worship a different god or have a different skin color.</p>

<p>I watched Morgan Spurlock's 30 Days about an atheist woman who went to live with a born-again Christian family, and they brought up an interesting statistic: When asked which group they trust the least, Americans choose atheists out of all other given choices, including illegal immigrants and Muslims.</p>

<p>I think the biggest double standard here is that Christians are supposed to be accepting of all types of people out of the kindness of their pure and sin-free hearts, but I have yet to meet one actually like that..</p>

<p>If Christians were actually as Christ-like as they claim to be, I think I'd like them a lot more.</p>

<p>But no one cares about the bumper stickers that read</p>

<p>"I don't have a problem with Jesus, I just can't stand his groupies"</p>

<p>I love this bumper sticker :)</p>

<p>I liked the old billboard that said: "Don't honk if you love Snapple." Classic. Atheists and agnostics tend to be people who are intellectually "there" and have actually thought through things. I am far from being either of these two things, but I would much rather have a conversation with someone who has thought their beliefs through than someone who quotes the Bible for every argument they have.</p>

<p>not that religious people have necessarily not thought this through...</p>

<p>but yes, I would take cognizent(sp.) any day</p>

<p>People who shun agnostics and atheists usually do so under the assumption that without a religion to guide someone, he or she is somehow more immoral than religious ones.</p>

<p>I think thats ********. That premise in itself reveals more about those who shun atheists than atheists themselves.</p>

<p>at my high school what i have conlcuded is that atheists and agnostics tend to be more accepting of others than those claiming to be christian</p>

<p>Atheists are the most hated minority group</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ur.umn.edu/FMPro?-db=releases&-lay=web&-format=umnnewsreleases/releasesdetail.html&ID=2816&-Find%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ur.umn.edu/FMPro?-db=releases&-lay=web&-format=umnnewsreleases/releasesdetail.html&ID=2816&-Find&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Unfortunately, many christians are really worse than atheists but I, as a christian, don't worry about since the only thing I care about is God.
What to Bush's comment, well, separation of state&church already happened so I can't see his comment more serious than a joke because he wouldn't be able to execute it in anyway. Indeed, no one should be resentful at jokes :)</p>

<p>In fact, I should repeat that as a christian I am (and many christians that I know of are) strongly for separation of church and law and not-teaching religion in school for various reasons which I can elaborate on if needed.</p>

<p>"What to Bush's comment, well, separation of state&church already happened so I can't see his comment more serious than a joke because he wouldn't be able to execute it in anyway. Indeed, no one should be resentful at jokes"</p>

<p>Regardless, if a public figure were to make a similar 'joke' about jews or blacks there were be a large public outcry. But as long as your hating on those amoral atheists anything goes.</p>

<p>Oh, indeed, that might be the problem but I don't really have much of a respect for Bush anyway and it looks like atheists don't care.</p>

<p>Atheists are such a small minority group though (~5-10%) that noone really speaks up for them. Hell smokers are the most picked on minority and we are at least 25% of the adult population.</p>

<p>Yeah, I think atheists are generally more accepting because we have to take so much **** that we come to realize that it's not fun being part of such a small minority. When I put a darwinfish on my car my mother kept insisting that someone was going to slash my tires, lol...</p>

<p>i live in a relatively politically correct city (Seattle area) so we're not that hated on, although i hear it's kind of perilous anywhere outside of the West Coast. there are quite a lot of atheists/agnostics here; 30% maybe at my high school? maybe. i haven o stats, it's just my observation.</p>

<p>check this out</p>

<p><a href="http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence%20&%20religion.htm%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://kspark.kaist.ac.kr/Jesus/Intelligence%20&%20religion.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>there's some very compelling evidence there, Drew.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The first answer that comes to mind is that religious beliefs tend to be more illogical or incoherent than secular beliefs, and intelligent people tend to recognize that more quickly. But this explanation will surely be rejected by religious people, who will seek other explanations and rationalizations.

[/quote]

i'm feeling an inherent subtle bias in the wording of the site, which may may it less than credible for others.</p>

<p>I'd like to see a VERY well-known source (such as the New York Times) conduct such a survey; in that way, it would bring a lot more credibility to the idea.
not to discredit nature or the scientific american of course, but the presence of a mainstream source would definitely help support public acceptance of the idea the site presents.</p>