Dropping Out of Graduate School For Second Degree

<p>I just completed one semester of graduate school for chemistry and I don't think a PhD is right for me. I'm not that interested in carrying out scientific research, writing a dissertation, and especially teaching undergraduates. The fact that I'll be so specialized I won't have a lot of control over where I live because job searches will always be nationwide is what I like the least. So I'm thinking about dropping out, but I'm not exactly sure how. Is it better to get a Master's then drop out or just drop out early on with nothing? I had a 3.6 with my chemistry BS and I was a few classes short of a second degree in math. I'm also in good standing at my current school. It's really more of a practical decision about what kind of life I want than anything else.</p>

<p>I'm thinking about going back to school for computer science. I've talked to some of my friends who graduated about their jobs and I've taught myself programming (equivalent of a first year computer science sequence) and done programming with micro controllers for scientific instruments.</p>

<p>You might want to take a look at Professional Science Master's programs. They are a blend of advanced technical work (science, chemistry, math, other) and business or other "plus" courses. There are over 220 programs nationwide and create good career options for graduates. </p>

<p>Since you got into a PhD program, you would have the academic qualifications to get into a PSM program. The other major consideration is professional experience and career goals. Now that you are reassessing and looking for other options, the career fit question should be a good match. I'd expect you would gain admission to virtually any PSM that was a good fit for your career goals. </p>

<p>The entire list of PSM programs is at sciencemasters.com. If you think a PSM might be of interest, update the thread and let us know.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>