Drug Bust- Top Suburban High School

<p>Pot</a> bust sends Brentwood scholars to ALC | <a href="http://www.tennessean.com">www.tennessean.com</a> | The Tennessean</p>

<p>Another example of really bad judgment coupled with too harsh consequences (in my opinion). These kids are going to have fun writing their "Explanation of Suspension" essay.</p>

<p>Quick question, can't they just dis-enroll their child and put them in a private school?
21 1/2 hours of interrogation is excessive and I am sure that a law suit will be filed today be the parents!</p>

<p>I think that the interrogation was 2.5 hours, not 21.5 hours.</p>

<p>I agree that the punishment does not fit the crime. In our hs this would be a five day suspension and then the offending students may return back to their regular program. The aftermath would be a big deal and everyone (all of the student body) would be under suspicion of substance abuse for the rest of the year. School field trips would be cancelled, but travel for sporting events would continue. Teachers would look more closely and play police officer for a few months, and then they would tire of it and school would operate normally again. Then when another incident occurs, the cycle would repeat itself.</p>

<p>I think the key point here is that if the students are as bright as their parents are saying they are, they should have been able to realize that they would be stupid to compromise their futures by smoking pot on a school sponsored trip. This isn't an "accident" or something that happened to them. It is a choice they made, knowing full well about the zero tolerance policy (whether or not the policy is fair). There are many kids who would have saved their partying for a more appropriate time and place. At this age, these kids should be responsible for their own actions.</p>

<p>This would have been an alternative school suspension at our school. The policies are very clear. NO DRUGS. I read the article and the parents of these students need to get there heads out of the sand. Cries of their precious kids being in the GT program and 34 on the ACT, are NOT an issue. The issue in that their gifted sweet children chose to smoke an illegal drug (and yes I understand many don't believe it should be, but the fact is it is, like or not and the laws are clear) and they can't say "oh no...not my Johnny" If parents would actually hold their children accountable then maybe they would not have been in this situation in the first place. </p>

<p>We have a son who struggled with his pull to pot all through high school and he now works for our family business. (He lives on his own and suspect he still smokes) He sees his sister who for the most part has put her self on the "Ivy League" track. He always says it is not fair. We quickly tell him that he made his choices, he must live with them and they are what they are. </p>

<p>These kids knew they were wrong. They knew what they were doing had a risk. They took the chance and it did not pay off. I feel the punishment fits the crime. If I was the parent I would be angry, but at my child, not at the district for enforcing the policies that are well known.</p>

<p>In our district Any event such as these, there is a parent/child meeting a few weeks before the trip/proms etc. CLEAR rules established, if ANY drugs found, immediate suspension, sent home parents called. Contracts signed by students/parents.
You know the rules you get caught, no issues.</p>

<p>Again, there is always some think they are not part of the rules. Still do it, the punishments are dished out.</p>

<p>
[quote]
can't they just dis-enroll their child and put them in a private school?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What decent private school would take the kid at this late date and with a disciplinary issue like this?</p>

<p>They can also get into the honors program at East Tennessee State.</p>

<p>One year at a facility for smoking pot? That's just ridiculous.
I absolutely agree that these kids did a VERY stupid thing and should suffer some consequences. Suspension. Perhaps some community service. But one year? </p>

<p>Reminds me of our alcohol rules here in PA which are enforced quite vigorously by my son's college. Son's friend (19) was caught WALKING home last spring after drinking two or three beers. Breathalyzed. Lost his drivers license for 3 months after the citation went through. Was unable to drive during the summer and therefore unable to land a job. Did a few lawns in the neighborhood but spent most of the summer sleeping late and watching video games. Parents were furious but both work and unable to ferry him around like they did when he was 15. Now - THAT'S a good consequence huh?</p>

<p>collegeshopping:</p>

<p>Great post. It is ridiculous to think that these very bright students should be able to break well-known school rules and then go crying about the district's enforcement of those rules. Too many parents excuse their kids bad behavior and become angry at the wrong people. You sound like a good parent and I think that your son will eventually learn the lessons that you have tried to teach.</p>

<p>Punishments should be appropriate to the offense. Young people's brains are not fully developed (particularly in the "good judgment" area of the brain) and even most "good" kids will do stupid things from time to time. A brief suspension and loss of privileges (attendance at functions like the prom, etc.) is a measured response. A year at the alternative school? Do these folks actually thin that those kids are the only kids in schools that have smoked pot? The lesson being learned by the student body is that people in positions of power over them are arbitrary and irrational. They are being taught cynicism and contempt for authority, not respect, in my opinion.</p>

<p>No sympathy here. The Code of Conduct is what it is. They admitted to the violation. Not sure what else the school could do. The rules are explained, the kid makes a choice, now the kid suffers the consequences. Not at all arbitrary--not random or 'by chance'. Their behavior brought on the consequence the Code requires. Parents don't really get a vote. Just my thoughts.... </p>

<p>I don't particularly like the 55 MPH law, but the judge isn't too concerned with my thoughts on raising the speed limit OR with my GPA/ACT score! I still have to pay the fine and deal with my insurance company. The nerve of that judge, she didn't even respond to my mom's phone calls. :-)</p>

<p>It is not like they got busted for pot in the backyard of the family home. They got caught smoking pot, basically, at school. A school sponsered trip is an extention of the school grounds. Is a year at AS harsh? Maybe, but that was the rule set forth when the violation occured. I assure you when those parents signed the code of conduct way back when, they either stupidly did not read it before the signed it or they had the "not my kid" attitude and felt it did not apply therefore they did not protest at the time of signing. Now fast forward a year and they are in pretty bad position.</p>

<p>No sympathy from me. It matters not if they are in the top 10% or bottom 10% of their class. Rules are rules. Live with the consquences.</p>

<p>Their being in the top 10% of their class is irrelevant. The punishment would still be disproportionate to the crime even if they were in the bottom 10%.</p>

<p>The students, however, should have known better. The laws around marijuana, and school zero-tolerance policies, might be idiotic, but you still get in trouble for being caught breaking idiotic rules, and they know this. The <em>degree</em> of trouble is the problem, to me. That the students' current plight is their own fault still doesn't make the punishment a just one.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I don't particularly like the 55 MPH law, but the judge isn't too concerned with my thoughts on raising the speed limit OR with my GPA/ACT score!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yeah, but if you break the speed limit (which I would consider less of a victimless crime, arguably, than smoking pot), do you get sent off to an alternative school for a year?</p>

<p>No sympathy here either. They're supposed to be smart. They are leaders at the school and need to serve as an example of what not to do. They broke the school rules and the law. They're lucky they aren't facing legal charges.</p>

<p>jessiehl said, Yeah, but if you break the speed limit (which I would consider less of a victimless crime, arguably, than smoking pot), do you get sent off to an alternative school for a year?
No, but if I get caught using drugs at work, which is analogous to school, I would be fired and maybe arrested. They have simply been moved to a different location, not expelled. Yeah, it's not as good for them, but it's for the safety and well being of the students who were not caught using drugs. 9 less drug users at Ravenwood High is a good thing. They're smart kids; they knew the consequences and they should deal with them.</p>

<p>I love how these threads bring out all the self-righteous parents whose kids would NEVER do such a thing. Well- I hope you all sleep better knowing such a terrible crime is being justly punished! And- I hope your kids are truly the little angels you think they are and never exercise bad judgment. I am the parent of a kid who made some mistakes and had some arbitrarily applied consequences, and, as was mentioned above, the lesson that is taught is not a positive one.</p>

<p>This punishment is not appropriate to the offense. I find it interesting that the response to the gun found at the school is that it's 'being handled by the school and no charges are being filed'. The drug issue is being handled with a very heavy hand. Why, for heaven sakes, isn't the gun issue, which should be far more serious? </p>

<p>This has nothing to do with how smart these kids are or what their class rank is. It's the wrong response regardless of the academic standing of the students. My guess is that the appeal will be successful and the decision will be reversed, with the implementation of a more reasonable punishment. No one is suggesting that they shouldn't be punished.</p>

<p>What part of "kids don't consider the consequences because they are invincible and don't think they will get caught" don't you understand? You are really over-estimating the teenage brain (especially the brain of a boy).</p>