Drug Companies: please stop saturating the streaming services with your drugs

I love how the people in these commercials wear the same color as the drug box. If you look closely, you can tell some clothes were custom made, but not in a good way.

2 Likes

I just watched a couple of things on Prime specifically paying attention to the commercials. Lol, it looks like
Amazon really wants me to get a dog because the two ads they’ve thrown in my viewing were ads for some parasite treatment for dogs and dog food! The funny part? One of the shows I watched was about… cats! :rofl:

Being in the medical field, my husband and I would notice the names of newer drugs on the market. A large number of them would be 7 letters long, and/or include one of the letters, X,Y or Z.

Once I shared this with another doctor, he was surprised it was true. Now you have something else to focus on when seeing those commercials or print ads! :wink:

2 Likes

Naming a new drug is not a trivial matter! Glad I don’t have to deal with this :laughing:! Google AI pointed to this article:

3 Likes

Regular networks also.
I am a retired hospital pharmacist and it makes me see red. Awful.

3 Likes

Yesterday morning, I watched the Today show between 7:30 and 8. There were 3 drug ads in a row coming out of the 7:30 local news break, and then there were 2 more before 8 (maybe more, but 5 for sure). I know I ‘see’ them more because of this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Drugs Get Their Names? | Pfizer

That page says, among the “no” for brand names, “Does the brand name look or sound too much like the generic name?”

But how strictly is this rule held to? Seems like there are some exceptions, such as Thalomid (a brand name for thalidomide).

Just yesterday Lilly popped up an ad on Facebook for a new trial for those that are overweight AND have osteoarthritis of the knees….that’s me! However, I am diligently working on exercises and strengthening and losing weight on my own so I’m going to hold off on the trial but if I’m still in the middle of this battle in a year, I’ll probably see what’s going on with the drug. I would probably ask my PCP or RA Dr about GLP1s, neither has recommended, and I’m terrified of the whole muscle loss thing since I think muscle weakness is what’s causing much of my problem. I was glad to see that ad for volunteers.

1 Like