Dual Enrollment Classes

<p>As with AP credit, note that a given college’s policy on DE credit may differ in:</p>

<li>Credit units toward the minimum number of credit units for graduation.</li>
<li>Subject credit toward course requirements.</li>
<li>Prerequisite fulfillment and advanced placement.</li>

<p>For example, if a college won’t give credit units or subject credit, it may still allow for placement into more advanced courses (particularly in math or foreign language).</p>

<p>Pre-professional-school (medical, law, etc.) students should know that grades in college courses taken while in high school do count toward GPA for professional school applications.</p>

<p>D went to school one credit shy of sophomore standing because of DE courses. However, only 9 credit hours counted as general Ed requirements. Many state schools take de credits because of articulation agreements. Many area private schools will accept them from area community colleges for the same reason. </p>

<p>In my state, schools can offer AP or DE, not both. Because the majority of students go to the public Us, schools opt for DE over AP. the kids’ high school offers just 8 AP courses.</p>

<p>4kidsdad, schools were private LACs in CA, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oregon and Ohio. Also private Universities in Illinois and Louisiana.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the input. DS had several DE classes (actual CC classes) and our state U is required to take the credits, and in some cases, the courses. He could have knocked at least off between the DE and AP, but he ended up going an entirely different route and got no credit. :(<br>
DD has no DE classes from her highschool, but after the experience with DS, I’ve been paying attention to that question anyway…</p>

<p>In NJ, if you are considering taking community college classes while in high school you can know in advance if a NJ college will accept these classes and how they will be accepted (as elective credit or to fulfill a requirement). When my children were deciding which cc classes to take (while in high school) , we made extensive use of this website:</p>

<p>[NJ</a> TRANSFER: Linking New Jersey’s Colleges and Universities](<a href=“http://www.njtransfer.org/]NJ”>http://www.njtransfer.org/)</p>

<p>For those who live in other states and are considering instate colleges, it would be worthwhile to see if your state offers a website like this one.</p>

<p>Most kids in our local HSs do not take CC classes, they take 4 year college classes. They either go to college and receive credit and transfer credit to their UG(my S. did that) or they have classes taught in HS based on agreement with specific college. At D’s school, it was not allowed to take any classes outside of school. Her HS had agreement with Kanyon college to teach few classes. D. took college American History and received credit from Kanyon college and had no problem transferring it to her UG. Thank goodness it allowed her not to take any History (except for Music history in her minor, which is totally different). History is her weakest subject, she spent enourmous time with her father sorting it out. She wanted to get all History done in HS as it had potential to lower her college GPA.</p>

<p>The only DE any of my kids took was offered through the state flagship and I believe the HS teacher was designated as an adjunct instructor there. The class content was coordinated with the university content (although I believe the high school class took two semesters to cover what was done in one semester at the college level). D spoke with a recent alum who was taking the class at the college and it sounded pretty similar. It was also offered as an AP class. D did not take the AP test but her college did accept the course as transfer credit, and she’s using it to fulfill a core requirement.</p>

<p>I just looked up the DE class our kids are taking (Spanish). It is considered a 100 level class, however, the course description matches a 300 level class, mainly all of the class is conducted in Spanish. Pre-requisite for the course at the college is less than 2 years of high school Spanish, our kids have had 4 years (technically 5 but two years in middle school count as 1 high school year). They are taking 2 college courses over the year equal to 10 college credits. They follow the college calendar for this class so it is two semesters of college classes.</p>

<p>For foreign languages, colleges tend to have their own placement procedures, regardless of previous high school or college courses, or AP or IB tests, so that students are placed in a suitable level of course for their existing ability in the language.</p>

<p>^In regard to Foreign language specifically, they will have to take a placement test. At D’s school (could be different from others), freshmen could not register for classes before taking placement tests in Math and Foreign language. D. did not have AP Spanish, but apparently she had a good HS teacher, so she placed straight into 3rd year college Spanish and it ended up being one of her best college classes. She was able to speak 2 years after taking only one semester. She continue traveling abroad and using Spanish relatively freely, last time also as a translator for some MDs that she worked at clinics in Peru.
So, at least at some schools, they will not be able to place higher than their palcement score allow them, no matter what classes they had in HS.
The same goes for math which also deterined (at D’s UG) the level of college Chem. They might end up at lower Chem. level even though they took AP Chem.</p>

<p>My son’s experience with MIT, where he’s a current freshman, was surprising. They actually awarded him credit for his California community college math classes (calc II, calc III, linear alg. and differential equations), and apparently gave him some sort of credit (maybe 9 units of elective?) for his two semesters of Arabic. As far as I know, he’s still working on getting credit for US History. He did not get credit for his three semesters of calc-based physics because their policy is that you must take an advanced standing exam at MIT in order to test out of these classes and he did not take the tests.</p>

<p>They also give credit for certain AP exams, so he got credit for calc b/c. However, he didn’t get credit for his two physics C exams (can test out of mechanics) because he got a 5 on one and a 4 on the other and both scores must be 5s.</p>

<p>For anyone reading this thread, my best advice is SAVE YOUR SYLLABUSES AND A COPY OF THE TABLE OF CONTENTS OF YOUR TEXTBOOKS!</p>

<p>MIT, and I suspect other schools, ask for both of these in addition to the official transcripts. They want to see how it aligns with their classes.</p>

<p>HTH someone.</p>

<p>My D spent the last two years of HS in a dual enrollment program. The classes were all taken at the Community College. The professors did not even know she was a HS student. The classes appear on both the HS transcript and also the CC transcript. All the schools she applied to were willing to give her credit for some or all of the classes. Most were counted towards GE requirements. The Math classes she took at the CC were not U of California transferable but several of the OOS schools did count them as college work including U of Vermont.
The HS students were warned that the classes they signed up for at the CC would be part of their permanent college GPA and record. That the classes needed to be taken seriously and not to sign up for something they were not willing to commit to doing the work.
In my D’s case I think she has a bit less anxiety going off to college. She knows she is capable. I think in her case the CC classes helped her on admissions. Our CC is highly regarded.</p>

<p>“For anyone reading this thread, my best advice is SAVE YOUR SYLLABUSES AND A COPY OF THE TABLE OF CONTENTS OF YOUR TEXTBOOKS!”</p>

<p>-D. was never asked for these. She never mentioned that anybody did. But nobody went to MIT from her class. Must be MIT thing! However, D. keeps everything for several years anyway, most of them do. So, it shold be no problem if copies are required.</p>

<p>Actually the saving the syllabus is a good idea. I forgot that my older D took a CC class (not while in HS) and when she transferred to a 4 yr university she wanted to use a class to satify a diversity requirement. She was able to appeal and used the syllabus of the class in order to get it counted. She also did this for an Honors English class she had taken at her first 4 yr university to satify a requirement at her 2nd 4 yr school.</p>



<p>From what I understand, if something has been preevaluated and deemed worthy of transfer, syllabi and other course materials aren’t necessary. But if you want the college to consider something which has not been preevaluated, they will want a lot of class material from you to consider transferring it.</p>