Earthquake in northeast! [M 4.8 - 6 km ESE of Califon, New Jersey]

House shook for long enough to make it noticeable!

10 Likes

From my city council rep: CONFIRMED: Earthquake near New York City has a preliminary magnitude of 4.8. Epicenter near Lebanon, NJ.

3 Likes

4.8 is decent size.

I was on Zoom with Brooklyn kid who was in bed holding a cup of coffee. Apparently the whole neighborhood ran out into the street asking each other, “Did you feel that?”

1 Like

S22 felt it outside Philly.

We felt it in Boston.

I felt it at work in Eastern PA. My in-laws in NJ felt it very strongly and their cat freaked out. No one was home at my house to see our cats reactions.

My cat was sleeping. I don’t think he noticed at all!

1 Like

It was strong here! We’re less than 20 miles from the epicenter. Loud and long! From what I’m hearing, though, not much damage anywhere.

4 Likes

It was loud here too. And we are about 3 hours drive from the epicenter.

As my SIL said…what’s next? Locust?

8 Likes

Do you mean this?

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us7000ma74/executive

Same - also in NJ and it was pretty strong. We all thought a tree hit the house and my sister thought a truck hit her house. Glad that everyone is ok and there doesn’t seem to be much if any damage.

2 Likes

Yes. It was felt in Philadelphia and New York as well as all of New Jersey. I’m in northern NJ and one of my sisters is in a southern NJ beach town and it was pretty strong for both of us.

1 Like

S and DiL in Philly had furniture moving around – quote from DIL “at first I thought I had just overloaded the washer again”

5 Likes

I asked my husband if we had wash going on. A minute or two after, he just said “bye, going to work!” I don’t think an earthquake was confirmed yet.

14 Likes

No, cicadas.

7 Likes

The last earthquake around here, I didn’t feel at all, but this one was amazingly loud and long. All the windows rattled and the whole house vibrated like a helicopter was circling directly overhead.

1 Like

I was in a work meeting when it happened. One person said the shaking was an earthquake, and she was corrected by another gentleman in the meeting who said it was just a helicopter flying overhead :rofl:. Ooops

4 Likes

Just had a small aftershock.