Easier to get in out-of-state?

<p>I know 40% of Stanford consists of people from California and the competition is ridiculous in Cali, but if you're from the East Coast is it more advantageous to apply than to apply in state?</p>

<p>whether or not there is an advantage or not it will probably be a small one Stanford has less than a 7% acceptance rate. It is very hard to get into. I was waitlisted me 4.4 GPA, 34 ACT, 7 varsity letters in 3 years, wtc. for wheras i got a full tuition ($160k) to USC</p>

<p>Not being from California doesn't make it easier to get in. Being from an underrepresented state can be helpful.</p>

<p>Good point applicantnot - </p>

<p>do you have any idea where the underrepresented states are listed for Stanford? </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>@2011VAMom</p>

<p>There's not a "list" of underrepresented states (ie: Stanford doesn't publicly acknowledge this), but you CAN see where the freshman class is from (somewhere)</p>

<p>It's more or less the same states for all schools: Alaska, Hawaii, and most of the rural Great Plains (Dakotas/Idaho/Montana, etc)</p>

<p>I'm assuming the deep south (Mississippi, Alabama) may be underrepresented as well..</p>

<p>Thanks pewpewpew for your response.</p>

<p>Idaho is not in the Great Plains. It is considered either the Intermountain West or the Pacific Northwest.</p>

<p>The general lack of knowledge of Idaho's geographic classification is a measurement of its underrepresentation.</p>

<p>Or ignorance on the East and West Coasts ...;)</p>

<p>Meh. Regardless, it's out in the sticks, which is the point I was trying to make</p>