Economics/Management, a Bad Mix?

<p>I've been told that if I want to go into econ that I should also look at finance. The problem is that despite, feeling that it will help me in my job I want to later pursue(entrenpreneur). "I" find finance a some what boring major. I was thinking of majoring in management and economics, cause those seem to be to majors I would enjoy based on the overview of classes I have seen. Do you think econ/management is a bad mix?</p>

<p>anything with manegement is a good mix, especially econ. any employer will tell you this.</p>

<p>Say I wanted to be an execuitve of a company do you think they would prefer a guy with a econ/finance degree or one with econ/management?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>geez you sure have a ***** load of questions kinglin. My advice major in management and econ. or management & entrepreneurship.</p>

<p>Perhaps accounting & finance.</p>

<p>Marketing & managment</p>

<p>Account& Mangagment</p>

<p>You pick not us. We won't be the ones getting you the job or hiring you the companies will</p>

<p>That's not a bad mix at all; so it basically comes down to what you want to do; i think some of the classes you want to do will include some finance material in them too</p>

<p>And the guy you speak of -regarding who he will pick- if grades and scores are the same, but one has more work experience, he'd most likely pick the one w/ experience regardless of which major</p>

<p>do what you think you will enjoy best. i dont like finance either.</p>

<p>just look for a school with a business school and a decent liberal arts program and keep your mind open about your major. you'll probably change your mind later.</p>

<p>if you're applying to be an executive, you're probably middle aged or at least in your 30's, and your major won't really matter.</p>

<p>if you go to a lower ranked business school, i think the only people with decent job offers are accounting majors. if you go to one of the top business schools, finance is more employable, though accounting is still a good field.</p>

<p>econ is good if your school does not have a business school or if the business school is not highly ranked. if you enjoy econ for the sake of econ, go for it, but people say it is completely irrelevant on the job aside from abstract application of economic theories in your decisions.</p>

<p>regarding management, even people at wharton who only have a management concentration have a hard time finding a job.... it's one of the fluffiest business concentrations out there.</p>

<p>You should think about a double major in Economics/Statistics, I beleive this combination will allow you to find more job offerings and I beleive the average pay for this combination is higher than that of Econ/Finance or Econ/Management. While a Stat major would be more difficult it would also be more fun, because math is fun.</p>

<p>I too want to major in economics, but I hear from many that job opportunities are scarce if you plan to work anywhere else but Wall Street. Many say economics is a good supporting major to others (i.e. management). </p>

<p>Have any of you met anyone that has a economics/physics major (or any science that is a non-social science?)</p>

<p>I know a few people doing Econ/Statistics (anon social science).</p>

<p>unless you're doing some type of research job, economics is almost completely irrelevant to wall street jobs. economics uses a ton of calculus to show how variables interact with each other. wall street uses corp finance, which deals with discounting and interest rates.</p>

<p>in terms of jobs, i would only choose econ over finance or accounting if my school didn't have a business school or if my school's business school was ranked low. keep in mind a lot of wall street firms have a list of "target schools," and if your school isn't on that list they won't look at your resume. your school name matters a lot more than your major, since an english major from harvard has a much better chance at wall street than a business major from whatever business school is ranked #20 by US news.</p>

<p>the majority of business and econ majors from non-top schools get kind of mundane jobs like accounts receivable and commercial banking stuff, a far cry from wall street in terms of both pay and what you do on the job.</p>

<p>Generally, for jobs that require an undergraduate degree only, the posted job requirements are something like “bachelors in business, finance, economics, or equivalent.” In other words, they are all close substitutes. Now, I understand that there are some jobs that require only a finance degree for example but usually this is not true. I have found that econ grads do just as well in competing for and working with finance jobs as any other business type major with the possible exception of perhaps accounting intensive jobs. Economics gives a person a way of looking at things and making logical choices. The math that is involved is at the very least as advanced as that found in finance programs so financial modeling is a pretty easy thing for econ grads. Not only that, econ programs offer classes that are very similar to those found in finance programs (e.g. financial markets, mathematical finance, financial forecasting, etc.). If an econ student picks his classes right, he should have no problem working in finance. </p>

<p>The reason I am saying this is because I don’t agree with the majority of transient’s post. </p>

<p>Transient, you make it seem as though everyone wants to work on Wall Street. Unfortunately, the vast majority of econ, finance, accounting, and business students don’t have a dream of working there. Wall Street is in New York and although there are indeed many people who aspire to work there, there are WAY more people who don’t. Unfortunately, you dismiss the majority of the country as being an unimportant place for Wall Street rejects. You should try to rethink what you posted.</p>

<p>If you are looking for a business type of major that is very job oriented and will help you as an entrepreneur, you should consider accounting over economics. Accounting plus almost anything else would be a great combination. As a budding entrepreneur, I would focus on accounting and marketing with a little human relations courses as well. Finance would also be a good option to any of those mentioned.</p>

<p>However, as someone noted above, "management" seems to be a fluffy major. You would think that it would be very job oriented,but that isn't necessarily so.</p>

<p>So generally management isn't all that great of a degree? So would I be better off going into something like marketing? It's just that I see alot of well know busines exec's with degrees in management and thought perhaps that is one that would help out alot.</p>

<p>Most of the "well known" business execs that I know may have a management specialization. However, it was obtained in their MBA! Personally, I would not get a degree in management. I would shoot for as practical a major as possible while trying to obtain a good grounding in liberal arts and especially writing skills. Do not ignore writing courses! I see this in many people coming to our company for interviews. There really is a dearth of quality applicants with decent writing and English skills.</p>

<p>I think that if I was to major in entrepreneurship I would enjoy it but, I myself think that with say a degree in entrepreneurship no one would hire. I mean what kind of jobs could you get with a degree in it?</p>

<p>BTW still want economics.</p>

<p>You still have to go through a master and maybe a Ph.D I wouldn't stress about the major so much.</p>

<p>Also, I know plenty of people who major in something and end up using the skills they've used for that major for something different.</p>

<p>Kinglin, I just did a bit of research for you and now we all may be more confused. UCSD has a degree in Management Science that is like economics with a business and math type emphasis. Pepperdine University has a degree in Management that is similar to a well rounded general business degree. UCLA has an MS in Management Science that is like a masters in math/econ/computer science. UC Davis has a degree in managerial economics that is like an econ degree with an emphasis in business (or agriculture). To further complicate things, many top business schools are called “School of Management” as taxguy eluded to. What “type” management were you exactly looking at? Perhaps then we all could better answer your question.</p>

<p>Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with a major such as the one you seek. If you want to study it and like the material, I can see no reason why not. Bachelors degrees such as the one you are looking at are quite homogeneous in the eyes of most employers. I am not saying that you will study the same material in each degree but what I am saying is that employers will not penalize you (at least not much) for majoring in management instead of economics or finance. They are close substitutes for one another.</p>

<p>I am looking for a BS in economics. The reason I want to major in something else such as management is cause, im afraid that the school I want to go to doesn't have all that great of a Econ program. The thing is that, the school is very well know for it's business school. Generally a top 10 business school. And I'm afraid that without going to a well know econ school, I won't get any good jobs. So by also going into something like management which is a top 10 undergrad program, I would be a little safer when finding a job.</p>