ED II Financial Aid Woes

<p>I applied (and was accepted!) ED II hoping that Wes would give me enough aid, but alas, they did not. The ED contract says that you can break it without penalty if you applied for financial aid, so that isn't my worry. Right now I'm just really upset that I have to say no to my dream school. I'm in one of those upper middle-class families that always seems to get screwed over in aid decisions. My mom says the school is too small for there to be a chance of them changing their decision, but I feel like I have to do something. Should I just say no and move on?</p>

<p>Congratulations on getting accepted to your dream school!</p>

<p>Have you contacted the Financial Aid office to see if they would reconsider their offer?</p>

<p>Congrats! I was accepted today as well!
I was wondering where you checked your financial aid package, my letter did not state this. Thanks!</p>

<p>Even though it's ED, I can't see that you have anything to lose by telling them it's your dream school, but without $X more you'll have to give up on your dream. Figure out what X is before you talk to them. Don't make it seem you're calling to "negotiate," just making a last attempt. This is not anything I've actually done, but it's based on what I've read and makes sense to me.</p>

<p>I was also accepted ED2 today, congrats you guys! Also SChen, I also didn't know where to check my aid package then I thought "Hmmm, well, perhaps the financial aid site has my award..." and sure enough I was right, ha. I think I may also be emailing the FA office about my deal.. I'm not even sure if it's "good" or not.</p>

<p>Definitely call the school. You never know. Think of it this way - there is ZERO downside to calling. The worst they do is say they can't do anything more.</p>

<p>I agree that you should definitely check with financial aid to see if they can reconsider. But I will tell you that before you do that, be sure to list the specific items you forgot to list when you submitted your financial aid application, mistakes you made when you filed, and/or changes in your situation that you had since the time of filing. If these are not what you are appealing, the chances of getting more aid simply because it is your dream school are extremely low to nil, really. Everyone who applied ED considers Wesleyan their dream school, so that will not carry weight. As a parent who last year faced the same dilemma as your parents are facing now, I am very sympathetic.</p>

<p>Congrats on being accepted EDII! </p>

<p>Our s was accepted ED1 and we faced the exact same issue as you. We are guessing that financial aid thinks that, with our small college savings account along with funds in a money market (which we have for emergencies), we can pay for the first year. So, after many sleepless nights, we decided to go for it, with the hopes that after we are 'wiped out' the first year, we will receive some financial aid in years 2,3, and 4...</p>

<p>The other option for our s was to go to one of 2 good public schools in our state, but the smaller class sizes and going north out of state to such a strong, prestigious liberal arts school was something we could not pass up. It will hopefully stretch him as a person, and he will be exposed to new experiences that he may not have otherwise.</p>

<p>Also, our s will be working a couple of jobs this summer for spending money, etc. He is playing a sport at Wes, so the possibility of working while at school may be hard. But, the opportunities that Wes will give our s will hopefully make this investment something we cannot pass up. We decided that we did not want to look back and wish we had done it... hopefully we are making the right decision!</p>

<p>Good luck with your decision. Wherever you end up, you will be fine.</p>

<p>Thank you all very much. I plan to call the financial aid office today. My award was indeed displayed on the financial aid website. I'm not glad that others are in the same situation, but it's comforting to know that it's possible to get through this.</p>