ED Penn w/ Legacy + other schools RD

<p>Hey guys. I posted one of these threads a year ago, but I thought I'd post one again now that the deadline is drawing near.</p>

<p>I'm planning on applying ED to the Jerome Fischer Management and Technology dual degree program at Penn, and deferring to SEAS (I'm interested specifically in BME). Both my parents went to Penn. I am probably a long shot for the Jerome Fischer program, but I hear a lot of it comes down to the essay, and I can defer to engineering if I don't get in.</p>

<p>RD, I'm looking at the following schools:
Hopkins - BME (yeah right....)
Duke - Engineering
UVA - Engineering
Carnegie Mellon - Comp Sci
UMichigan - Engineering
BU - Engineering
Rutgers and/or Penn State - Engineering
possibly Columbia/Tufts</p>

<p>General
Race: Hispanic
State: NJ
School: Public, very highly rated nationally
FA: Probably won't be awarded any (or very little)... haven't done the calculator yet</p>

<p>Scores and GPA
GPA Unweighted: 3.5
GPA Weighted: ~4.1
Course load: One of the heaviest course loads in my class
Classes taken: 7 honors and 8 APs so far</p>

<p>APs: US (5), Music Theory (5), Calc BC (5), Comp Sci (5), English Lang (5), Physics C (5 and 5), World (3)
SAT I: 2170 (800 M, 740 CR, 630 W) - retaking because I bombed the essay
SAT II: 800 Physics, 780 Math II, 710 US History
PSAT: 2240 - NMS semifinalist or w/e</p>

<p>Extracurriculars
In rough order of importance...</p>

<p>(3 yrs.) Jazz Band at HS / (12 yrs.) Piano
(2) School newspaper
(1) InvenTeams - Sophomore year
(1) Science Olympiad
(2) Ultimate Frisbee
(2) Columbia Science Honors Program
(3) Amnesty International
(1) Robotics club
(2) Meat Club</p>

<p>*All of the above do not include senior year. I plan on continuing all of these activities in my senior year.</p>

<p>Leadership
Again, rough order of importance</p>

<p>2nd Pianist in the top band of our extremely competitive jazz program
Graphics Editor for the school newspaper
Science Olympiad - 2nd place as a team, personally I got 2 1st place medals at states
Started the InvenTeams club. We didn't get the grant, but we made it halfway and got an Excite Award.
Possibly Co-Pres of Meat Club next year</p>

<p>Senior Year Schedule
AP Stat
AP Euro
AP English Lit
AP Bio
Spanish VI
Jazz Band
Possibly an independent study in comp sci if I can set it up at this point</p>

<p>Finally, I did some volunteering sophomore year (100ish hours), and a little this past year too.</p>

<p>The clear issue I have is my GPA, which is substandard, however I'm hoping my courses and test scores may offset that a little. Another less apparent issue is that I really haven't done much this summer, just a little volunteering at UMDNJ, and a considerable amount of work on a large piano piece which I've been working on by myself. I plan on listing this as part of what I've done this summer, because it has taken a lot of time, and I have been doing it independently of any teacher. As such, I will probably record part of it and submit it with my app.</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>bump - and I'm male, didn't specify that above</p>

<p>Most likely acceptances at UMichigan, Carnegie Mellon, Boston U, Rutegers, Penn State, and UVA.</p>

<p>Yeah those were the kinda obvious ones to me (except UVA). I'm more concerned about how difficult Duke, Tufts, Columbia and (most importantly) Penn will be for me.</p>

<p>Your GPA will slaughter your chances at the top schools. </p>

<p>I was at an info session for Penn recently and they blatantly said that GPA is the most important part of your application.</p>

<p>Penn is obsessed with rank. Only 2% were not top 10%. if you're top 10%, reasonable shot as a legacy.</p>