EECS and ME Majors Please help me.

<p>Situation:
I got a good enough GPA that my counselor said I'm guaranteed to switch into ME if I want and my chances are formidable to switch into EECS too. The only factor that might deny me from getting into EECS is that I haven't taken an EE or CS class yet. I need help deciding which major I should switch into. </p>

<p>About me:
I was originally NucE because I love physics... just not enough to basically major in it, which is what NucE would entail. My favorite aspects of Physics are either fluid dynamics or electrostatics/dynamics... the stuff in Physics 7B. I have essentially no real programming experience. E7 will be my first programming class but it'd serve as a CS61A filler if I choose EECS instead. In my career, I hope to go into either power electronics [EECS], fluid mechanics [ME], or Automatic Controls [ME or EECS would work]. If I do choose ME, I'd probably try to pursue a minor in EECS. </p>

<p>So, any EECS or ME majors, please advise me. In particular, I'd like to hear from anyone in option 1 of EECS but any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)</p>

<p>If you're thinking about deciding between EECS and ME, the question is to ask yourself: which is cooler: a car or a cell phone?</p>

<p>ME</a> 167 UC Berkeley, Spring 2004</p>

<p>Electrokinetic</a> phenomena - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>Fluid mechanics certainly can draw a lot from things like electrodynamics and thermodynamics. And it seems like you do like fluid mech and electrodynamics (though from the looks of it, you probably haven't taken a whole fluids course since you're a second year). So maybe these links are worth checking out to see what's out there.</p>

<p>you can go pretty deep into electrical engineering if you do ME and focus on controls. Keep in mind that electronic have applications everywhere these days, so you can be working with cell phones even if you go into the automotive industry (you know, GPS and stuff like that). While ME does allow you to do pretty much anything, it's kind of all over the place and you don't really go in depth as an undergrad. Since you mentioned that you wanted to minor in EECS, I assume you're more interested in electronics. In that case, do EECS if you can get in. Doing a minor in EECS is a very difficult endeavor and I do not recommend it. I would suggest thinking about an EECS major with a ME minor first if you're really adamant about doing both.</p>

<p>As a 4th year ME also interested in fluid mechanics, I suggest going EECS. The ME department simply doesn't offer enough pure fluid mechanics classes to justify switching to ME if that's ALL you're interested in. Of course if you are also interested in dynamics with a bit of controls mixed in (what I'm doing) then ME is the better choice.</p>

<p>I suggest going the EECS route while taking ME 106 (Intro to fluids) , ME 163 (micro scale fluids), ME 167 (micro scale fluids) as it fits your schedule.</p>

<p>Edit: I should also note that if you are interested in control design, the ME department has been cutting some of its classes and directing students to take the EECS equivalent instead. For example, I was dismayed to find the ME 134 (Automatic control designed) had been canceled and was told to look into EE 128 instead.</p>

<p>Yeah I should have bolded, underlined, and italicized Try to pursue a minor because it's super wishful thinking. That's really the reason I started thinking EECS would be a better route. Whilst choosing my electives for the four-year plan they have us do, I noticed all of my classes were EE-based and ME is so broad that I wouldn't be able to really sink my teeth into the concepts. My backup plan would have been focusing on fluids just in case. I think I'm just really afraid that my lack of programming abilities will kill my gpa. I'll only be required to take 61B-61C by foregoing 61A but yeah, it's tough.</p>

<p>Yeah. CS is scary. That's why I'm ME, not EECS....</p>

<p>Selfish Bump</p>

<p>You should go into ME and just take EECS upper-divs. Both the EECS major and the minor require the CS61* series, which don't align with your interests. You should learn how to program for almost any technical major but Scheme, Java, and C aren't what you want and nor will they help you as much as tons of Matlab practice. Also, E7 can only replace CS61A if you're doing the EECS minor. </p>

<p>I think you'd be happiest foregoing the EECS minor/major and the CS61* series. Having breadth is good and all, but if mechanics is going to be your focus your time may be better spent in ME and EECS upper-divs.</p>