EFC reduction

<p>My family's income is too high to qualify for the Pell Grant. If I moved in with my grandparents who only get 50,000 a year in social security will I be able to qualify?</p>

<p>No. Regardless of your place of residence, your parents’ financials must be put on the FAFSA form.</p>

<p>What if my grandparents adopted me?</p>

<p>How old are you? </p>

<p>Your parents would have to give up their parental rights. Are they willing to do this?</p>

<p>All of this would have to take place prior to age 18.</p>

<p>Really, this is a drastic measure for $5730.</p>

<p>Come on, people. You are not qualify for the Pell Grant due to family income exceeding the limit and you are trying to find a loop hole to get some money you do not qualify for.</p>

<p>Adoptions can take place after the person reaches adulthood in some states.</p>

<p>I believe for financial aid purposes, this would have to happen before age 18. </p>

<p>You could easily work and earn the equivalent of a Pell grant every year.</p>



<p>Even if your Grands adopted you, with an unearned income of $50k, and a family of 3, you may still not qualify for a Pell Grant…or at least not much of one. </p>

<p>Income that is NOT from a job, has a harsher calculation. And, they may have savings as well.</p>

<p>^Untaxed Social Security is not included in unearned income for FAFSA. Of course, for schools that use PROFILE or their own additional forms besides FAFSA, it may and probably will be added to income.</p>