<p>So my EFC came out to be around 12k. Now I definitely can't pay that amount, so I was wondering what the best course of action would be? </p>

<p>I mean, I don't think I could qualify for a scholarship, my freshmen grades were absolutely disgusting, the worst I have ever done in my entire life. So I really don't think there's much I could do there. </p>

<p>I'm pretty sure my only option is a loan at this point. </p>

<p>But in any case. My other question was about the EFC. After I find some way to pay off that 12k, what would happen after I go over that balance? Would the government give me financial aid?</p>

<p>I'm not really sure about the whole FAFSA process. This is my first time filling it out. Even though I'm a sophomore, I didn't get a chance to fill out last year's FAFSA.</p>

<p>EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution. It is minimally the amount you can expect to pay for your year in college. You take the cost of attendance, and subtract your EFC. The balance is considered your "need". So...using your example...if school cost $22,000 (total cost of attendance), you would subtract your EFC from that...and that would leave a balance of $10,000 which would be your NEED. Now....here is the rub...some schools fully meet a students need, but MOST schools do not. This means that you would likely be responsible for your EFC and some part of the balance of $10,000. By completing the FAFSA, you would be eligible for $6500 in Stafford loans as a returning sophomore college student. </p>

<p>An EFC of $12,000 would be too high to qualify for any federally funded grants (Pell, SEOG, etc). </p>

<p>So...you have a couple of things to deal with. First...check with your college. There was likely a deadline for returning students to complete their financial aid applications for this fall. I hope you didn't miss that deadline.</p>

<p>You can call the financial aid office to find out when financial aid awards are typically sent to returning students too. And you need to look on the website to see if your school meets full need. If they don't, they probably won't.</p>

<p>And lastly, check your school's policies. Some schools will not allow students to apply for institutional financial aid after the freshman year IF they do not apply as incoming freshmen. So check to see what your school's policy is for the awarding of their money (institutional money).</p>

<p>Oh man, I'm going to end up getting no aid =(
Do you, by any chance, know any information about the Work Study Program? Like how I can qualify?</p>

<p>You need to contact your college. Are you talking about financial aid for this fall, 2010? If so, you may find that Work Study awards have already been given out. Colleges have a limited about of money for work study awards and typically these are awarded to students with financial need who apply earlier not later in the process.</p>

<p>Work study is a federally funded need based award. If you have financial need as determined by your college you might be eligible. The only way to know is to contact the financial aid office and ask. Sometimes w-s awards become available later in the process because other students choose not to take the award.</p>

<p>If you are interested in work study, why not also look for on or off campus jobs that are not funded through work study?</p>

<p>How much does your college cost? How much money are you looking for to cover your costs?</p>

<p>Do you have a way to pay your EFC? Have you discussed college finances with your family? How did you think you were going to pay the costs of attending your college? What do your parents say?</p>

<p>Since I attend summer classes, I think I'm just going to go there in person to straighten it out. My tuition is about 12k a year, without dormming. I wanted to dorm, for the experience, but I don't see it happening without financial aid. And my parents told me that I would need to get a loan. We barely got through my first year without one and absolutely no financial aid. </p>

<p>I had my fafsa completed by March 15, but I was filling the form out with my dad and we overlooked a mistake that brought our EFC to 60k. I just recently reviewed the form and saw my mistake, the new EFC is 12k. </p>

<p>I've applied to a number of jobs, but haven't heard back from any of them. I've haven't had a job since Summer 2009. </p>

<p>Overall, my parents really aren't being helpful. Especially since they're the ones who initially put the wrong information on the the FAFSA. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that they're paying for my education, but between the financial situation, grades, and constant pressure to enter the medical field, they're really not making things any easier. </p>

<p>Thank you so much for all your help. I'm very grateful =D</p>

<p>If your college costs $12,000 and your EFC is $12,000, you have no financial need. It is unlikely that you will get work study with no need. BUT check what your school computes for cost of attendance for students who are commuters (like you will be if you live at home). That amount should include some costs for commuters. Check with your college. Some schools have oncampus jobs that are not work study jobs. </p>

<p>You will be eligible for the $6500 Stafford loan but it sounds like you will need that to cover your tuition costs.</p>

<p>The best thing to do is talk to your school AND to your parents.</p>

<p>As Thumper is saying, it really depends on the college as to what you may get in financial aid. You are past the deadline for most colleges' financial aid. But your specific college's rules are what apply to you. Does your college use FAFSA only, or does it also want another financial aid application as well, such as PROFILE or its own personal form? Does your college guarantee to meet financial need? What percentage of need does it tend to meet on average? What is the official cost of attendance for your college?</p>

<p>Your EFC usually is just the number that tells you if you are eligible for a PELL grant and associated "goodies". Your EFC is too high for you to qualify for those federal grants. Does your state have any grants for which you qualify? Your EFC also may qualify you for subsidized loans. In any case, you are likely to be eligible for Stafford loans. The other possible source of loans if for your parents to go through PLUS. If your school has some workstudy funds, you may be eligible for those monies. But again, you need to talk to the financial aid office to see what is available to you.</p>

<p>Definitely let your FA dept know of the FAFSA update. Depending on their policy, they may consider the original FAFSA filing date to have met their priority deadline, as my D's school does (subsequent updates may change award amounts, but not eligibility). So, if they do have any funds available for priority filers, you may have a chance at some work-study.</p>

<p>If you take the$6500 in Stafford loans, can your parents fund the balance?</p>