Effects of a miserable placement test in this case?

<p>So let me start by saying I hate math, I'm awful at it. My report card was straight A's and a 60 something in math.</p>

<p>I took my math placement exam today and did awful. Like, maybe 8 out of 30 questions right <___<, it was awful.</p>

<p>I'm an intended English and Film major, so it's not like I need math..though I do need at least 1 math/numbers reasoning class as part of the whole liberal education thing. </p>

<p>So in my case, is this really bad, what can be the consequences of this?</p>

<p>Uhh, that means you'll be placed in an easy math class which will help you get a good grade and a higher GPA?</p>

<p>The placement test is only to find out your ability level. You'll be put in a lower-level math class if you didn't do well.</p>

<p>Your college may have a remedial math class. Which means you might need to take a basic math course or two before you can go one to take a math class that actually satisfies your liberal education requirements.</p>

<p>So it'll place you in an appropriate math class but it might force you to take an extra class or two.</p>

<p>Either the school in general or your major department will have a specific math level that you'll need to achieve. You can achieve it by taking the classes and passing (usually with a C or better) or by testing out of classes using the placement exam. It sounds like you'll be taking several math classes.</p>

<p>If you did badly enough, you may be required to take developmental (high school level) math classes before you qualify for the college math classes you'll need to take. Those classes will not affect your GPA and will not count toward the number of credits you need to graduate. So -- especially if you didn't test out of any other classes -- you may need to take more courses than other students do at some point.</p>

<p>Either way, I recommend that you take math your first semester and again every semester until you've met your graduation requirements. In high school, "prerequisite" means a course you need to take before you take another course. In college, "prerequisite" also means the skills you'll need to have at the start of your next course. If you don't take math for a semester or two, you'll forget some of what you know now, and you may either end up in a class you're not fully prepared for or take the test again and end up in an even lower class than you qualify for now. You probably have a lot of things you'd rather take this semester and I don't blame you, but you'll probably end up doing better in math if you keep taking them until you're done, so unless you have a <em>really</em> good (and atypical) reason, I don't recommend indulging yourself.</p>

<p>Yeah, basically you're going to get put in remedial math. And then they will teach you remedial math. And you will need to get some math out of the way to graduate.</p>