ELC packet

<p>Has anyone else gotten this in the mail recently. I got it so what does this all mean?</p>

<p>Im applying to UCLA, UCB, UCSD, and UCI
im ranked 5 of 924</p>

<p>Does this mean ill get into one for sure?</p>

<p>Aoballer008,</p>

<p>Congratulations on your ELC status. Your ELC status means that you have attained "eligibility" to the University of California system, as long as you do the following to complete your eligibility:</p>

<ul>
<li>Complete all coursework requirements for freshman admission by the end of senior year, </li>
<li>Graduate from high school with a UC GPA of 3.0 or higher, </li>
<li>Take two SAT Subject Tests and either the ACT Assessment plus Writing or the SAT Reasoning Test-no later than December 2006 (for Fall 2007 admission), and </li>
<li>Apply to the University by the November 30 application deadline</li>
</ul>

<p>Having attained "eligibility" is one part of the admissions process at UC. The other is "selection". Although ELC students are guaranteed admission to UC, they are NOT assured of getting into the campus of their CHOICE, depending on the campus.</p>

<p>For last year (the most recent information available, but still valid presently), UCLA, UCB and UCSD would NOT guarantee admission to their campuses for ELC students. </p>

<p>UCI would guarantee admission for ELC students, provided they meet the above requirements AND they do not want to major in Dance, Music or any major in the Schools of Engineering and Information and Computer Science. </p>

<p>See the following for additional information about UC Campus Policies & Procedures on Evaluating Freshman Applicants:<br>
<a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/resources/materials/UCCC2005/Fresh_Matrix_final2.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/educators/counselors/resources/materials/UCCC2005/Fresh_Matrix_final2.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Also helpful… ELC Program: <a href="http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>eligible does not mean "in" just means you qualify, as those schools are number driven for admittance</p>

<p>
[quote]
eligible does not mean "in" just means you qualify, as those schools are number driven for admittance

[/quote]
</p>

<p>For the sake of clarification, in Aoballer008's case (as well as other ELC students), the ELC eligibility DOES guarantee admission to the University, so long as you complete your eligibility requirements (as I mentioned in my previous post #2). So, in that regard, your being an ELC student does mean you are "in"; however, (repeating here), it does NOT necessarily mean admission to the campus or major of choice.</p>

<p>Norcal dad is correct. Elc status means your are in at Irvine Letters & Science. Last year, SB, Irvine, and Merced were the elc 'guarantee' schools. As long as you take the SAT and graduate from HS, & write a half-way intelligible essay, you are in at Irvine. You will probably recieve a letter from Irvine in the next week or so, saying Congrats. Pay the $60 and you will be happy in March.</p>

<p>fyi - Cal and LA have a 60% acceptance rate of elc candidates. Good luck.</p>

<p>there is still an evaluation process-</p>

<p>Using Test Scores in ELC Evaluations</p>

<p>UC will use SAT II, AP, and IB-Higher Level exam scores in the ELC evaluation process, if those test scores are on the transcript submitted by the high school with the submission packet. Generally, standardized test scores are not included on high school transcripts and UC is not prepared to match test score reports to obtain this information. The school must submit the test scores directly for these scores to be considered.</p>

<p>AND be in the top 4%</p>

<p>so how can it be a done deal if there are other factors that are considered?</p>

<p>Maybe I am missing something, but no one qualifies yet for anything in the UC system, there are still factors to be taken into consideration</p>

<p>As you can see above, an essay is required, tests are looked at, etc...and grades through graduation, that 3.0, is necessary....so "in" is probable, but no means guaranteed if you don't meet the qualifications at graduation</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you are UC-eligible through ELC, the University will notify you at the beginning of your senior year. You must then submit the University's undergraduate application during the November filing period and complete remaining eligibility requirements – including the Subject and Examination requirements – to be considered fully eligible. Fully eligible ELC students are guaranteed a spot at one of UC's undergraduate campuses, though not necessarily at their first-choice campus.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Reference: <a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/local_eligibility.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/local_eligibility.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The advantages for students who have earned the status and been identified as ELC students are multiple. Their “eligibility” must be completed by what I mentioned in my original post. Online applications are done through the designated ELC channel/website.</p>

<ul>
<li><p>The foremost advantage is that ELC students are GUARANTEED admission to at least one of the UC campuses. </p></li>
<li><p>Secondly, if they apply to certain campuses (i.e., Santa Barbara, Davis, Merced, and Riverside), admission is GUARANTEED (again with the stipulation that they complete senior-year requirements). For the Irvine campus, admission is GUARANTEED to all majors except_Dance and Music and majors in the schools of Engineering and Information and Computer Science. </p></li>
<li><p>Finally, ELC students are provided additional consideration during the comprehensive review process at those campuses who do not guarantee admission, i.e., UCB, UCLA, UCSD, and UCSC. Additionally, those ELC students who applied to Irvine with the excepted majors mentioned above are also given additional consideration in the comprehensive review process.</p></li>
</ul>