Electrical vs Computer Engineering info?

<p>I've heard they are similar and have a couple classes difference and lead to close to the same job opportunities.</p>

<p>However, when I ask what each major applies to, I get very different answers.</p>

<p>Can anyone tell me in detail what each entails and their difference is in what you learn and job opportunities?</p>

<p>I might just double major if they are so similar in course load. If you want, you can tell me the benefits of double majoring and if it is worth it. =)</p>

<p>EDIT: Or should I major in one and do a grad degree in the other? Pros and cons vs double major?</p>

<p>I understand that I asked lots of abstract questions, so just help as as well as you can.</p>

<p>CompE is very similar to EE except that it is more focused on computer hardware and software. You will learn a bit about things like compilers, microcontrollers, how all the parts in a computer work together on a detailed level, etc. EE is more broad and you might just take one microcontrollers and one basic programming class.</p>

<p>Double majoring depends on your school. At some schools it is easy to double major in EE and CompE. At others it requires a lot more credits because of limits set on how many credits can be shared between two degrees.</p>

<p>^ Thanks for the answer.</p>

<p>Anyone else have input?</p>

<p>EE is hella broad and you could be studying things like circuit design, circuit device design, integrated circuit fabrication, antenna design, or systems level design and theory (<- this last one envelopes a lot of coursework and subareas). If you go into the device-level subjects or the systems level subjects (not so much circuits or fabrication), it is a fair amount of math (you'll do a lot with waves).</p>

<p>CompE is less broad and involves studying the design of computer systems (at a higher level of abstraction--you aren't designing the building blocks) and learning how to program them. Computer systems could be processors, computer networks, or the software that runs on top of them.</p>

<p>Regarding double majoring: don't do it unless you really are interested in studying a variety of subjects. It isn't useful to do it. It is better to do one thing and do it well, than to be able to do a lot of things poorly. This idea is old as hell . . .</p>

<p>Double major in EE and CompE is incredibly worthless. No one in the field is going to be impressed; if anything, you look silly as it's obvious you did it for the sake of doing it and not because it has any merit (it doesn't).</p>