Empty nesters moving from the burbs to the city?

<p>I thought of posting this on the "getting our lives back" thread, but I didn't want to interrupt the conversation on gray hair. (No, I haven't colored mine yet, but I reserve the right to do so. At the moment there's little enough gray to be impressive for my age, and if I color it I think everyone will assume I'm covering a head full of gray.) </p>

<p>Anyway, I'm wondering whether anyone has made the move, or considered making the move, from a nice suburban house to the city, which would be NYC in our case. I can't complain our house is boring; it's pretty and it's in an area that looks like the country. We do go into the city very often, though, and are wondering about following the trend we have been reading about in the papers (see title above). This would mean living in a much smaller space and losing the beautiful landscape. The tradeoff would be easier access to all the cultural stuff we enjoy. And the ability to walk places!</p>

<p>Part of me feels we are a bit rootless right now because our kids are mostly grown but we aren't in the grandparenting phase yet. Four of our dearest friends have relocated and so we no longer enjoy their company on a regular basis. It would be wrenching to leave the house, which we do love, both for itself and for all its memories. We would be close enough to see our current friends now and then, but we would need to meet new people (because of the departure of the above friends, we need to do that anyway). </p>

<p>Now that as empty nesters we have more day-to-day freedom, it could feel like an adventure -- or a big mistake. We haven't discussed it with our kids yet, but based on things they've said, I suspect access to Mom and Dad's place in NYC would be welcome. Of course, there is the possibility they could settle elsewhere, so we can't base a decision on them. We could also wait and relocate after they settle down. Anyone out there with experiences to share? Or your own reasoning process?</p>

<p>we have friends- who taught at Ann Arbor for many year, who moved to NYC and NYU a couple years ago.</p>

<p>Our city on the other coast- has lots of singles- although on the younger end generally- but we do know a couple or two, who sold their homes and bought condos closer in once the kids were in college.
I think the city makes a lot of sense as public transporation is nice to have but it would be a big change for you it sounds like-
'dont do anything on spur of the moment- give yourselves lots of time to research</p>

<p>My husband and I are originally from NYC and now live in suburban Philadelphia. We still have three years to go before we're empty-nesters, but we've talked about eventually moving back to the city. There are two things which give us pause, however: 1) the very high cost of either buying or renting an apartment, compared to where we live now and 2) the lack of space. When our children want to come home with friends/spouses in tow for the holidays, let's say, could we accommodate everyone? And even moreso when grandchildren come along. Right now we have plenty of room for overnight guests, but that wouldn't be the case in the city. Just something to think about....</p>

<p>We have a couple of years to go too but are considering it. There's a "relocation" boom in Philadelphia fed by young people and boomers. I actually think once our kids are well into their 20s it might be more "fun" to visit us there but who knows. There are lots of pros and cons but the middle age suburban lifestyle, once your kids are grown, seems a little limited.</p>

<p>We'd move back to the city (Rochester in this case) in a minute if we weren't so lazy. I don't love the 'burbs, and our kids didn't even go to school in our town. (They went to a Catholic school in the city.) But I guess I must dislike the thought of moving even more!</p>

<p>But the other thing holding us back is we still have quite a few years of work left, and economically this area is really shaky. I'd hate to move 10 miles away and then have to leave town. And it could happen.</p>

<p>I miss sidewalks, neighbors, and restaurants to stroll to. I miss the mix of people, the front porches, the SMALL yards with pretty gardens. I miss Democrats, natural woodwork, and being able to zip over to Eastman for a free performance.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I miss sidewalks, neighbors, and restaurants to stroll to. I miss the mix of people, the front porches, the SMALL yards with pretty gardens. I miss Democrats, natural woodwork, and being able to zip over to Eastman for a free performance.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Except for the Eastman part, we have all those things in our suburb. We can walk to two restaurants, Borders, a supermarket, dry cleaner, etc. I guess we should stay put!</p>

<p>We have all of the above, minus Eastman too. I can go entire days without ever taking out the car.</p>

<p>And Weenie...no Democrats? My condolences. :D</p>

<p>I'd love to move to the city, but I don't think we could afford those prices. :eek: Besides, most of my business is out here and since dh works in the north Bronx he's got a shorter commute from the burbs. Oh well.</p>

<p>Hmmm. I think we should consider forming an empty-nester club and trade houses/apartments on a rotational basis. Bored? Go to NYC for a week and see a play...need sun and heat? Sarasota's the place for you! Need snow? well, you get the point.</p>

<p>We are starting to consider moving back to Chicago (left 19 years ago) - we lived there 14 years before starting a family. We're thinking of that for a few years then eventually would love to end up in California when we stop working. We live in one of the expensive suburbs - our old shabby house will be snatched up as a tear down by a developer if no one else since we're in an ideal location. Another option is moving to a close-in suburb elsewhere, specifically Bethesda. We do want to stay in a house (or townhouse) rather than a condo - not quite ready to give up separate quarters!</p>

<p>We are talking about downsizing to a downtown condo as soon as our hs sophomore graduates. One goal would be to eliminate the commute. Another would be to get rid of the baggage of a big house's upkeep. One of H's concerns is lack of proximity to a golf course (less than a mile away currently). Also, our city (Richmond) is pretty quiet as cities go.</p>

<p>"Need snow? well, you get the point." </p>

<p>Yeah, we usually have that covered... :eek:</p>

<p>My parents have lived in a townhouse in a city neighborhood for 40 years, but my dad is itching to move to a condo downtown where he could walk to work, etc. It's a good plan, but my mom says she will decompensate if removed from the house where she raised her children.</p>

<p>My dream: own a very nice condo/townhouse (where other people do yard work) in downtown Boulder, Colorado. We lived in Boulder for one year and I was convinced I had died and gone to heaven. College town, incredible cultural opportunities, accessibility to great medical facilities, gazillions of restaurants, and hiking/biking/skiing/and other outdoor activities at your doorstep.</p>

<p>Oh, and LOTS of Democrats! :)</p>

<p>This is all very interesting. I had been thinking in terms of my kids and their future significant others and progeny and guest rooms. Who knows, though? One or both could move to Boulder with Dig. Then we'd go there with the other Democrats. </p>

<p>Where we live I can't complain, really. We have access to just about everything. I would love to be able to walk places. If I were wearing my Mature Hat then I might say it's not quite time to make a change. Not sure I'm wearing it. Probably inertia has been the biggest factor in my not making mistakes, as I look back. Please keep the ideas and stories coming.</p>

<p>Empty nesters moving into the city is very much something I see in the central part of Denver, where I live. As for me, I hope to downsize and, once both kiddos are out & comfortable with the idea, get a little hobbit house, with a view or a garden (doubt I can afford both) in the Berkeley/Oakland hills. Lived in Berkeley over a decade, treasured every moment of it, and I want to go back. Oh, lots of Democrats there too.
PS Boulder wouldn't be bad either... but it's a tad, uhm, white. I prefer more ethnically-mixed communities, but that's about the only thing I can criticise Boulder for.</p>

<p>So....Berkeley would be like Cambridge with good weather? We are thinking NYC but would be downsizing massively if we did so.</p>

<p>I can't go anywhere. I live in a swing state and every vote counts!</p>

<p>I am a single mother whose only child will be going off to college next fall. I would LOVE to move to a city where there are other singles in their forties and fifties. Suburban life is not for the unmarried! However, my big concern is PARKING. Daughter and I cannot live without our cars, so finding a condo in a city with parking for two (when she's home summers) would be extremely exensive.</p>

<p>apparent5, Cambridge would be like Berkeley without the earthquakes. Smile. That would be a great choice -- love college towns, I think they're great places to live for us old fogies. Besides the invigorating youth around, college towns tend to have very good university-linked hospitals. And you know, in old age, it's all about healthcare...</p>

<p>roshke, my hat's off to you!</p>