Engineering an iphone

<p>Hi, I was wondering what type of engineering degree would one need to develop an iPhone for all aspects of it. I can't really decide what field of engineering I want to go into, but i was thinking about something like computer science/electrical engineering double major. Any information on what kind of engineers could make an iPhone would be helpful.</p>

<p>Edit: I don't want to make an iPhone i'm just talking about technology like that in general. Thanks.</p>

<p>Understand that the iPhone is a product that was developed by thousands of people. Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ive did not sit down and design it on their own.</p>

<p>But to answer your question... Coming from an electrical or computer engineering background will not guarantee the design of a product equivalent to the iPhone. The iPhone is an product that was envisioned as a UI experience, not like laptops or desktops which are built to outdo predecessors in clock speed or pixel density (although this is what the latest iPhone release was all about).</p>

<p>The overall concept of the iPhone UX was the make-or-break element in it's development, not the hardware. The hardware was the requirement; regardless of what hardware is capable of, Apple have shown that they are willing to wait until it can successfully implement its desired design.</p>

<p>So.. Coming from an electrical or computer engineering background may not be the ideal path to develop an iPhone-like product. You'll be much better off IMO getting experience in Software Development, UX Development and also Industrial Design.</p>

<p>While I agree with patrick up there, if you are more interested in developing the hardware and not the concept, then electrical or mechanical engineering would be the right choices depending on which part of the design you wish to work on.</p>

<p>Browse this page and pick what you like. Apple even broke it by engineering branch for you.</p>

<p>Apple</a> - Jobs at Apple - Corporate</p>

<p>I don't believe engineering is an important part of the iPhone's success. A lot of it is marketing and a lot of it is interface design. This is why technologically-superior phones such as a few of the Android phones are not nearly as popular.</p>

<p>Try majoring in chemical engineering and then doing some reading on electronic hardware equipment</p>

<p>"a lot of it is interface design"</p>

<p>that is engineering.</p>

<p>Ok thanks for the replies so far. Also, I know this mind seem childish, but what about some of the technology in iron man/iron man 2? Like the suit, besides the arc reactor, and the little computers/cell phones he uses that look like plain glass. I know technically it doesn't exist and was just CGI but if i wanted to build technology like that whats a good field or dual major?</p>

<p>Computer science and computer engineering.</p>

<p>I think he means build the suit, not design the CGI for it.</p>

<p>Yeah bonehead is correct, I dont want to build the suit lol but just like the technology used for it in some way. And the computer systems in his house like the 3d projection model or other stuff like that.</p>

<p>Yeah, that's mostly computer science and computer engineering.</p>

<p>Most of the technology I see in the movie are advance computer vision, control systems, voice recognition, artificial intelligence, embedded systems, and human-computer interaction.</p>

<p>^This falls mostly under computer science and computer engineering.</p>

<p>So should i dual major CS and CE or do like CS and EE or something else?</p>

<p>That's something you need to decide yourself. If another person has to decide for you, you are not prepared for college, or life.</p>

<p>
[quote]
This is why technologically-superior phones such as a few of the Android phones are not nearly as popular.

[/quote]
Android has higher marketshare in the US (and is very quickly gaining in share on the global level). Of course, that's not with the recent sales of the Iphone4.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That has almost nothing to do with the actual popularity of Android over iOS. That has to do with Android being far more ubiquitous than iOS. Android can be run on dozens of phones across all major networks. iOS can be run on one phone (several versions) on one network. If you normalized it for how many people could actually buy the devices without switching providers (for example, iOS vs. Android on AT&T only) then the story would be very different. I am not saying Android isn't better, just that there is more to this story than just market share.</p>

<p>I can give you a list of related fields:</p>

<p>software design (applications and os): computer science, software engineering (which is taught in both computer science and computer engineering undergraduate level), and computer engineering</p>

<p>communication-wise: electrical engineering, computer science
iPhone product: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering
electronic components: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering</p>

<p>also notice that physics, chemistry, biomedical science, material science, and mathematicians are also involved in the design process. </p>

<p>I can continue to break down the subjects, but I think this is enough.
Mechanical engineers mostly deal with the product design, while the electrical engineering mostly deal with the electronic components. Computer engineering are said to deal with computer architecture and hardware application (in terms of software), and at the same time computer science (mostly software engineers) do the application and system developments.</p>

<p>The electrical engineering can break down into many sub-fields. Computer engineering is not really any expertise. But it allows you, as an undergraduate to explore variety of things before going to a graduate school. As a computer engineering student, I suggest you to look at the sample cirrumulam of a computer engineering degree. I also double major with standard physics and mathematics, and I believe with these two other degrees I can go on to graduate school and study physics. Physics is really important. When we finally talk about quantum computing, computer science, physics, mathematics, and electrical engineering all come together. </p>

<p>To understand how iPhone is designed, I suggest you to check out how a microprocessor is designed. I did a paper last semester. I was impressed by the technical details.</p>

<p>
[quote]
That has almost nothing to do with the actual popularity of Android over iOS.

[/quote]
Marketshare has virtually nothing to do with actual popularity? That's an interesting proposition. My contention is that Android will be the dominant mobile OS within 24 months.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Perhaps I worded that particular part poorly, but the fact remains that market share only tells part of the story in this case. I would argue that, despite any technological shortcomings, iOS would eclipse Android if it was available on more networks. Android has done an excellent job competing and now eclipsing iOS by capitalizing on AT&T's exclusivity deal with Apple, but without that window of opportunity, I think iOS would still be the bigger player simply because of its name recognition, similar to how XBOX360 still has a larger marketshare than the PS3 despite being technologically inferior because it has been around longer and beat the others to the punch.</p>

<p>sigh ... no chemical engineers were necessary. :(
definitely reconsidering my major now.</p>