Engineering Honors without the thesis?

<p>Engineering</a> Honors Council

[quote]
Is it required?</p>

<p>The thesis is not required in any way. However, there are a number of advantages to doing an undergraduate thesis.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>
[quote]
Further, completing an undergraduate thesis and receiving an “A” in each semester will gain you “Special Honors” upon graduation. This honor will appear on your transcript, and completing a thesis is the only way to receive this honor. Do keep in mind, however, that doing a thesis has nothing to do with graduating with Highest/High/normal Honors; that’s based completely on your GPA.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Wait, so if I'm accepted to Engineering Honors, I'm not required to complete the thesis? Woah. At UT, Chemical Engineering Honors has the exact same courseload as Chemical Engineering. That means UT ChemE Honors and regular ChemE are pretty much the same if I decide not to do a thesis!</p>

<p>If I am admitted to ChemE Honors, and decide I do not want to complete the thesis, then what's the real difference? Is this thesis "Special Honors" designation a separate designation than simply being in Chemical Engineering Honors?</p>

<p>Well honors is something you should consider. The honors classes you can get in engineering and some of your basic courses are a lot smaller and usually have great professors. Besides honors has more advisors and "special" treatment I guess you would say. The thesis is a good amount of work but it gives you the ability to work with proffessors and do research. It will look great of resumes and for grad school.</p>

<p>I talked to a Chemical Engineering Honors student. The classes are exactly the same. For MechE or EE you may have a few special honors courses, but for ChemE they are exactly the same.</p>

<p>Oh well sorry I'm CE and we have different classes,</p>