ESSAY FORUM for ED'ers who have submitted.

<p>Do you guys want to make a forum for the paranoid people (like me) or whoever who wouldn't post their essays until their applications have been submitted.</p>

<p>NOTE: If you copy an essay from here, you will most certainly be caught because our essays have already been submitted.</p>

<p>"NOTE: If you copy an essay from here, you will most certainly be caught because our essays have already been submitted."</p>

<p>Wow. You're freakish.</p>

<p>LOL. cool idea freakish. but how bout we wait till monday night?</p>

<p>that soudns like a plan.</p>

<p>Haha I doubt my essay would fit 851 words...=)</p>

<p>I'm still a bit paranoid and I don't trust posting my essay online</p>

<p>yeah, i'll probably use mine for other apps if i don't get into columbia</p>

<p>how true....oh the paranoid mind never stops working.</p>

<p>Still suggest you don't. People who're applying to other colleges can still copy ideas... be wary </p>

<p>and whats the need to compare essays. It's your work. why compare work with people you don't know?</p>

<p>hey mines 884 will that fit in the space on the online app?</p>

<h2>Here's mine. I don't care if anyone copies it, because a) it wouldn't apply to them, b)they would be caught. For other colleges, go ahead, if your sense of ethics allows you. It's no skin off my back.</h2>

<p>There is a cliche, American as Manifest Destiny, associated with immigration. It comes in a neat little package: images of huddled masses pouring into Ellis Island, adorably quaint sounds of Eastern European speech, and, as a firm ideological foundation, the idea of leaving behind the darkness, poverty, and ignorance of the Old Country for the shining streets of America, land of opportunity. And even though today the crammed steamships have been replaced by crammed Boeings, the cliche is still expected to reflect reality.</p>

<pre><code>It doesn't--at least, not to my experience. The eleven-hour Moscow - D.C. flight did little to impress upon my eight-year-old self the magnitude and wondrousness of this life-change; instead, it unobtrusively marked all of my pieces of emotional baggage with a brightly colored sticker reading "CONFLICTED SENSE OF CULTURAL IDENTITY."

Growing up both American and Russian has given me a unique perspective on life in both places. Ideas that many Americans take for granted, such as success for its own sake, are alien and meaningless to me. Likewise, I can no longer understand the (stereo-)typically Russian predilection for using drink as a self-justifying means of escape.

I have tried to keep the best elements of both my backgrounds. Being Russian helps me maintain a healthy cynicism (though I take that too far at times). Being American-raised helps me to thrive in a country that baffles foreigners (a country where, for example, 'classical liberal', 'neoliberal', and 'neoconservative' often mean the same thing). It has also, loath though I may be to admit it, given me many opportunities I would not otherwise have had.

However, I often feel that the American cultural narrative, while nominally embracing the idea of a melting pot, in reality only offers foreigners a stereotyped, My Big Fat Greek Wedding-esque version of their culture, while ultimately demanding that they conform to a typically American set of values. It seems to have defined my Russianness as a hodgepodge of ethnic cuisine, nineteenth-century authors, and Marxist politics. Although this amuses me more than it offends, I nevertheless struggle daily to reaffirm that being Russian is not just vodka and Tolstoy.
</code></pre>

<p>I cannot, though, imagine myself without either of my backgrounds.<br>
My experience as a first-generation immigrant is doubtless far from a unique one; still, it has given me a chance to fill a nontraditional role. I am both skeptical observer and involved participant.</p>

<p>heh. thats sheer awesomeness.</p>

<p>sorry antisthenes, I said it before in your post...i'll say it again...just a bit pessimistic...</p>

<p>What does anyone else think? Cause that's just my opinion.</p>

<p>I dont think its pessimism as much as it is realism. That was my reaction initially, but you can see the weaving in of phrases such as " i have tried to keep the best elements of both my backgrounds" and "it has given me a chance to fill a nontraditional role". These reflect a very proactive personality. I think the essay is well written. Period.</p>

<p>what are your stats, if u dont mind me asking?</p>

<p>I hope no one minds excessive crossposting...</p>

<p>SAT: 800V/760M
SAT-II Writing 720, World History 800, Lit 800
GPA: 3.7 UW, top 15%
ECs:
Nation/world news editor for newspaper, 4y
Head of light crew for theatre, 4y
Archivist and webmaster for our student theatre org., 4y
Director for our Student Play Festival, 2y
and a few other minor ones.</p>

<p>heh good chances.</p>

<p>Looking at your stats...yeah, you too. At least we won't be competing against each other in the first round (Wisconsin...it's nice when everyone smart around you is going to either UW-Madison or one of the Chicago schools)!</p>

<p>antisthenes, oh man, i'm pretty confident you'll get in
2 minor points regarding your essay:
the use of manifest destiny, which doesn't necessarily mean the promised land, and does imply american imperialism although the term can be stretched
"It has also, loath though I may be to admit it, given me many opportunities I would not otherwise have had." = the one line that i think crosses the line between realism and pessimism - you want to give the impression that u will WILLINGLY give credit where it's due</p>

<p>but yes, phenomenal chances, you're a good writer, and the lit and verbal score affirms that :-)</p>

<p>Thanks so much, contessa! About your notes:
"Manifest destiny" was just meant as a reference to a typically American way of thinking (although it can imply a promised land: the American settlers had an idea that America was God's Chosen Nation, and the ideas of both Manifest Destiny and promised land came from that).
"Loath though I may be" I kinda meant as a way of poking fun at my way of looking at things, though I can see how that could have backfired.</p>

<p>But thanks for your feedback, and your confidence. Hope to see you on campus next fall!</p>