Establish Residency by part-time status the first year

Any experience with establishing instate residency by attending university part-time?

The criteria for establishing residency (in WA) over 12 months says you cannot be a full-time student - taking over 7 credits per quarter. It seems possible to take up to 6 credits each quarter for the first year and work part-time, then apply as full-time instate after that. The intent is to not return to the current state of CA after university, so it is a legitimate desire to change the future state of residency.

Has anyone gone this route for instate consideration?

Any downsides - other that the part-time completion of classes. There have been dual enrollment and also community courses courses taken in high school, so there may be limited impact for the overall college time to take more than 4 years, even with 1 year as part time.

Also, do you know if part-time students are allowed to live in the dorms, in general?

Are you 24 or older? If not, it won’t work.

I don’t see that age requirement listed. Just need to be an “independent student” by paying for more that 51% of the cost of attendance and living expenses. Which would be from part-time work.

Independent students
are not financially dependent upon someone else, or claimed as a dependent on their parent’s, legal guardian’s, or other’s (excluding spouse) latest tax returns. If you are determined to be a financially independent student, residency will be based upon your domicile information and supporting documentation. If you are applying as financially independent, you must also document your financial independence, including:
That you were not and will not be claimed on your parents’, legal guardians’, or others’ tax returns for the previous and current calendar years. Calendar year is defined as January 1 through December 31.

That you are independently covering your living expenses (combined cost of attendance and room/board) with your own financial resources. For the UW, you will need to document that you are paying at least 51% or more of your living expenses with independent income/resources.

That you did not and will not receive significant financial assistance either directly or indirectly from your parents, relatives, legal guardians, or others (excluding your spouse) for the current and previous calendar year. For the UW, you will need to document that you have not received financial assistance in excess of 49% of your living expenses. Financial assistance includes, but is not limited to, personal loans, parent PLUS loans, and gifts. Financial assistance does not include financial aid grants, scholarships, and loans authorized by the financial aid office in your name.

No, you won’t be allowed to live in the dorm. You also may not be eligible for FA or it may be very limited.

Why don’t you just take the year off from school, get a job and work full time. The more things you can do to show independence will help in getting the change of residency approved. Get a job, change DL and voter registration, car registration if you have a car, make sure the lease and bill are in your name, etc. Formalize EVERYTHING. If you have a roommate, make sure all your transactions for utilities are formal if some aren’t in your name (don’t venmo the amount without documentation).

You have to work 30 hours per week and be able to pay for your rent and food independently. You cannot receive any help from any family or friends and your parents cannot list you on their income taxes as a dependent.
Have you seen the rents lately in Washington State? You will have to work and have your Washington taxes match your expenses. I don’t know of any jobs that you can get without a degree that will fully fund rent, food and transportation. Your best bet is to pay the non-resident fees.

From the UW website:

If you attempt to get housing in a dorm, as a part-time student, you are indicating that you are there for educational purposes and you will be charged non-resident tuition.

Students cannot qualify for resident tuition unless they can demonstrate conclusively they moved to Washington for purposes other than education.

Thanks all, good call outs.