Establishing CA Residency

<p>This might not be the right thread for this, but hopefully someone has an answer.</p>

<p>August 13, 2010 will be exactly a year since I moved to California. I have plenty of proofs of residency that describe what they ask for. Well I went into my CC admissions office and they gave me a bunch of papers to fill out. One of them kept asking if I was on my parents taxes this year and I was. Does this mean I can't become a CA resident after a year because I was on my parents taxes? My counselor says this is incorrect. I'm planning to ask this question tomorrow, but I would like some opinions tonight if anyone has any. Thank you.</p>

<p>I believe you must have lived in CA for at least 2 years? Not too sure though.</p>

<p>For the UC system to be considered a CA resident, if you are under 24, single, and not a parent, you have to prove financial independence from your parents. If your parents claimed you on their taxes, you can't prove financial independence. </p>

<p>It will be two years for me in August and I have to prove my financial independence by submitting my parents taxes so they can see they did not claim me as a dependant.</p>

<p>it is 1 year ....I had to go to murphy hall at ucla last week and provide all this info the more papers the better I took my license receipt from voter registration, paperwork from day I opened bank account and some pay stubs from work, my dad did the same plus car registration, lease on the house, electric bills, tax documents and a couple other things i cant remember
a couple days latter myucla residency status changed to in-state hope it helps</p>

<p>Look up the 'Condit Bill.' It is a statewide exception that, if one of your parents has lived in CA for 3 years, will make it so you don't have to pay out-of-state tuition. You must show on your parents tax returns, however, that you are a dependent.</p>

<p>This is from personal experience, btw. There are a handful of exceptions for people in unique and potentially compromising residency situations.</p>

<p>Darkstorm, you mentioned that you had "personal experience", presumably with the Condit bill. Could you give more details as to how it worked? My situation is detailed below:</p>

<p>I live in the Bay Area of CA and my daughter lives in Portland, OR with her mother. She turns 17 in July and will be a Senior in high school in the fall. As it happens out of my 3 children I came out of the divorce with the unconditional right to her tax exemption (rather than various insane accountant-enriching alternatives the lawyers insisted were "standard") so I've been deducting her on my CA and federal taxes for the past 5 years that I've been living here.</p>

<p>So, my questions are:</p>

<p>0) does this "Condit bill" have an assembly or senate bill number and year? The links at UCSB and other UC's are full of caveats and google doesn't find it.
1) does my daughter need to move to live with just after she graduates (i.e., before she turns 18) or just after she turns 18.
2) what would my daughter need to do during the one year of exception once she moves to have her residence with me? Driver's license, voting, etc. is all easy, but Oregon runs child support until age 21 for kids in school, so ...
3) would my daughter need to pursue a change of custody so that there is no lingering attachment to Oregon?</p>

<p>Thanks for any help.</p>


<p>Nick- If you are registered to vote, have a CA drivers license, pay stubs, bank receipts, ect you should be able to be a CA resident. It is different once you get to a UC where you need to prove financial independence. If I were you I'd ask your parents not to claim you next year so you can be in-state at a UC.</p>

Your situation seems very complex, so why don't I summarize mine:</p>

<p>I graduated from high school in Oregon but attended a CA community college for ONE year, and skipped my sophomore year because I had a lot of credits. That still makes me an out of stater, since I wasn't in CA for an entire year.</p>

<p>The condit bill does not prove residency. You are still not a resident, however who do NOT have to pay out-of-state tuition. It's basically a guarantee saying that you will not pay out of state tuition this year, but next summer you have to officially prove your CA residency. If you call a financial aid representative, they should know what the 'condit bill' refers to.</p>

You HAVE to have financial independence? I thought that was if you were 24 and over and you weren't a dependent of parents?I'm so confused X_x</p>