Excellent Verbal Background, Mediocre Math

<p>Hey all, so I'm considering applying ED to CHE but my concern is that my mathematics background will prevent my acceptance, regardless of the fact that my extracurriculars, community involvement, and electives relate directly to my major of choice - nutritional science.</p>

<p>As I understand, my math SAT score places me right on the edge: <a href="http://www.dpb.cornell.edu/documents/1000001.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.dpb.cornell.edu/documents/1000001.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>GPA: 4.06 weighted</p>

<p>SAT: 670 math, 760 reading, 740 writing (2170 composite)
ACT: 28 math, 28 science, 36 english, 34 reading (32 composite)
SAT II: 650 Math II, 780 Bio-Ecology</p>

<p>I'm retaking Math II this October before submitting my application. If I'm theoretically able to get 700+, do I have a shot at admission?</p>

<p>Also, I'm a legacy (my grandfather attended the Hotel Administration school). Does this factor in at all?</p>

<p>The 25th/75th % CR & Math SAT scores for the students who entered CHE in Fall 2011 were 630/730 and 680/760. Your CR is above the 75th % for last year’s entering class but your math is below the 25th. I have no idea how all of these factors are weighed so I cannot guess at your chances. (I am new to this game.) Would you not want to retake the SAT in Oct instead of the subject test? </p>

<p>I do not know if Cornell considers grandparents in the legacy category, but I did hear at an A&S Info session last week that one should apply ED if hoping to have legacy considered in the admission decision. I would think you could contact Admissions and ask if grandparents are considered for legacy. Good luck!</p>

<p>Definite retake the ACT also if not the SAT I in October.</p>

<p>My D was admitted to CHE with a 640 M 710 CR & a 31 ACT…you have a chance.</p>

<p>I’ve already taken the SAT twice. Wouldn’t it reflect poorly on me to take it a 3rd time? Is there any reason not to retake SAT/ACT?</p>

<p>Your stronger reading skills favor the format of the ACT, I’d take that again if anything. I still think your 32 is high enough to get you in the conversation. Your essays & teacher recs. will be the determining factor in Cornell assessing how well you “fit” the CHE.</p>

<p>Alright, I’ll consider retaking the ACT, then, and focus on developing strong essays. Thanks!</p>

<p>While it certainly helps to raise your math scores, I don’t think that’ll be a drawback. The real question is whether or not you are a fit for your major, and unless I’m missing something, particularly strong math skills aren’t all that necessary for the nutritional major. I would say that while you do fall in the 25th percentile, it’s not by much and I’m guessing it’s less because admissions was looking for high math SAT scores and more to do with the fact that with SAT scores, there is a correlation between CR and math scores. I’d venture a guess that more often that not, someone with a 2170 has a higher math score and a lower CR score, but I don’t think Cornell admissions will care all that much about the distinction.</p>

<p>As said above, your best bet for admissions will be your essays.</p>