Excessive emailing may be a mental illness

<p>Excessive</a> emails and text are a mental illness | NEWS.com.au</p>

<p>
[quote]
PEOPLE who send excessive texts and emails may have a mental illness, according to an article in a leading psychiatric journal.</p>

<p>As more people leave the office computer, only to log on as soon as they get home, the American Journal of Psychiatry has found addiction to text messaging and emailing could be another form of mental illness.</p>

<p>The article, by Dr Jerald Block, said there were four symptoms: suffering from feelings of withdrawal when a computer cannot be accessed; an increased need for better equipment; need for more time to use it; and experiencing the negative repercussions of their addiction.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What!</p>

<p>Does being "clinically addicted" to college confidential count as a mental illness?</p>

<p>Good thing CC doesn't publicly reveal how many PMs we send and receive ;)</p>

<p>Now, if CC would only offer a paid upgrade feature so we could store more than 50 in/out combinations in our mailboxes, I'd be their first customer.</p>

<p>Just another thing for people to blame their problems on. It's not mental illness; it's people who can't take responsibility for their own actions and thereby finding someone or something else to place blame to. Now that people will call it an "Illness", people can receive compensation and use it as an excuse when they send threatening or molesting type text and emails.</p>

<p>While I don't know if I agree that excessive e-mailing in and of itself is a mental health issue, I do suspect it could be a symptom of mental health issues that are probably evident in other areas of a person's life.</p>

<p>What makes many things addictive is the "immediacy" of the response. That is in part why some prescribed medications such as xanax, became "addictive" (there are other reasons but that is for another time) and why snorting cocaine is so addictive. In forums such as CC, part of the "addiction" is the immediacy of many responses. In other forums, where the response time is slower, or where all posts are read/screened before they are permitted to be posted, there is less of an "addictive" quality. </p>

<p>Teriwtt- agreed about the pm limit - :)</p>

<p>Agree with jym.......It is our collective addiction to "instant gratification". I plead guilty. I also plead guilty to leaving work (and the computer), checking my 2 Blackberrys on the drive home, and heading for the computer when I get home. While I do seem to have a life outside of the electronic world, I DO depend on my constant internet "fix". Probably not good but I don't think I would classify as mentally ill.</p>

<p>I guess I'm guilty fo this addiction or is it another way for me to avoid work? :)
However, I do not feel the need to carry my blackberry or my computer when I go on vacation, so I'm not half as bad. There is hope for me. :D</p>

<p>This board does tend to facilitate procrastination.</p>

<p>I admittedly do get somewhat annoyed if my internet connection is not working and grudgingly find something else to do...but going on line is my entertainment/relaxation tool...I think it stops me from becoming mentally ill!</p>

<p>Just re-read it and it says excessive emailing and texting...that I don't do...have quite a few emails sitting pending a response on a regular basis...'cause I'm busy surfing on line!!</p>