F2 Visa and FAFSA

<p>I am a student under F2 Visa currently and my parents informed me that I should apply for FAFSA soon, but it turns out I need a social security number in order to proceed the application and I obviously don't have one because my visa never had a social security number...WHAT SHOULD I DO????? AM I EVEN ELIGIBLE FOR FAFSA WITH F2 VISA??? I know there is this thing called Federal Student Aid Pin and can I apply for that using my parents social security number and use that pin to replace my social security number when I apply?</p>

<p>FAFSA is a federal program for US citizens and green card residents to see if they are eligible for federal grants and loans. In order to apply, you need to have your own social security number. If you are not a US citizen, you can’t apply for FAFSA.
If your parents are on an F-1 visa, how did they get an SS number?</p>

<p>FAFSA aside, F-1 visa holders can work a limited number of hours if they get authorization from Citizenship and Immigration Services. Lots of non-citizens & non-Green Card holders have work visas. If you work, you get a Tax Identification Number.</p>

<p>With an F2 you are not eligible for federal aid.</p>

<p>However, some places do use the FAFSA formula when they evaluate applications for other kinds of aid and scholarships. If that is your situation, you need to contact the college or university, and find out what steps to follow.</p>

<p>You also need to find out if you qualify for any state aid because of how long you have lived in that state.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>