Facebook and phone #s

<p>I saw phone #s for people that I don't even know. Check your own Facebook and warn your kids!</p>

<p>ALL THE PHONE NUMBERS IN YOUR PHONE are now on facebook! go to the top right of the screen, click on ACCOUNT, click on EDIT FRIENDS, left side of screen and click CONTACTS. you will see all phone numbers from your phone (FB friends or not) are published that you have stored in your mobile phone. TO REMOVE, go to RIGHT column, click on "this page."</p>

<p>I actually checked...the numbers in my PHONE are not there...but the numbers on FB ARE there...I'm so confused by this. I don't even see a place to PUT my phone number when I go to edit my profile.</p>

<p>Thumper, on your own FB profile page, if you scroll down to the bottom, you'll find "Contact Information." In the top-right corner of that section is a link you can click to edit that. If you edit your Contact Information, you can post your phone numbers on Facebook.</p>

<p>Now, I can't think of any reason in the world why you'd want to post your phone numbers on Facebook, but that's how you could do it if you wanted to do it.</p>

<p>It's only if you have your phone contacts linked to facebook using the facebook app. Also it's not public info, meaning someone visiting your profile can't view it. Lastly, you can disable that feature.</p>

<p>I was able to see a LONG list of phone numbers but NONE very few of them were folks I have on my contact list on my PHONE. My phone is a "dumb phone"...I don't have FB on my phone. BUT really the only ones listed where FB contacts...NOT folks from my either of my phones...wall or cell.</p>

<p>I checked and 30 or so of my friends have their phone numbers available. I've never linked anything to my phone (it doesn't do that and I don't pay for any data service) and yet those numbers are there. FB must be finding them internally and listing them. Or, those 30 friends linked their phones to FB and so the numbers show up on my page.</p>

<p>Why is FB so persistent in doing creepy, invasive things?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Or, those 30 friends linked their phones to FB and so the numbers show up on my page.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I think those 30 friends just chose to post their phone numbers on Facebook, using the method described in post # 3 on this thread. So really, this is no big deal.</p>

<p>Sodium...agreed. If they already HAVE their phone numbers listed on FB...that what is the issue? The implication is that FB is hacking into your personal telephones and contact lists on the phones...which is poppycock. I wish folks would get their facts straight before posting those "post these to your status" posts...</p>

<p>I also checked and it's just people who have already chosen to list their numbers. I find this a useful feature actually. It's a big hassle every time a cell phone unexpectedly breaks and contact information is lost. I'm the only person who can see my account information so I don't understand what the problem is.</p>

<p>I've always had the highest security settings (as high as any social networking site could be =/) but I just saw the phone #s today. In fact, I was surprised only b/c is saw numbers from people that I don't even know and don't even have added!</p>

<p>I will definitely make Little Lee change his settings.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I'm the only person who can see my account information so I don't understand what the problem is.

[/quote]
How do you know you're the only one who can see it?</p>

<p>Seriously everyone - 'anything' you put online on FB or elsewhere may eventually be seen by others. FB and other sites that proclaim various amounts of 'privacy' have been hacked before and will be again and even when they're not hacked, how do you know what they're doing with your info? How do you know how they control access to that info? How do you know what'll happen to the info as their management or owners or IT administrators change? What about when they outsource their IT and other support to India, China, or elsewhere - do you know what kind of security practices those companies, ones you've never even heard of or know about, practice?</p>

<p>btw - Have any of you heard about the upcoming threat to FB by a hacking group? I don't know if there's anything to it but people should just assume that the more popular the presence (like FB, Microsoft, Google, etc.) the more hackers will be attempting to hack them.
Hacking</a> Group Anonymous Vows to 'Kill' Facebook on Nov. 5 - FoxNews.com</p>

<p>IT people are not well versed in security protection. They are the ones who expose the holes to hackers.</p>

<p>I think it's not a big deal if your phone is exposed on FB. Just cancel the phone and get a new number. But the real big deal is your date of birth. I'd rather have FB use my email address and phone number to verify my identity instead of using my DOB because I cannot change it.</p>