FAFSA Abuse Designation

<p>In the FAFSA Application, when describbing one's circusmstances so that FAFSA can determine one's Dependent vs. Independent Status, there is an exception area where on can disclose that he/she has been subject to "abuse". Does anyone know the specific form(s) of abuse that qualify under this section, or where I can go to learn more about what qualifies as abuse? Thank you.</p>

<p>That section applies to applicants who have become estranged/separated from their parents due to child abuse, or are fleeing an abusive home. You need to talk to the financial aid administrators at the universities you're applying to, because they make the final decision in such situations.</p>

<p>There a number of threads about what it takes to get a dependancy override. Some of the storries can bring tears to your eyes. If in fact you are in an abusive situation you need to reach out and get help. If you are already living on your own and are underage, make sure you get some documentation from your high school as to your living situation (where you are living, how you are living etc, are you a ward of the court, do you have a foster family etc.) Colleges will make the decision for or against a dependancy override. Bits and pieces of the thread below should give you a picture of what colleges look for if they are going to authorize a dependency override. </p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/849654-how-do-i-file-independent-student-through-fafsa.html?highlight=abuse+fafsa%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/849654-how-do-i-file-independent-student-through-fafsa.html?highlight=abuse+fafsa&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>