FAFSA confusion

<p>Okay, so Brown gave me an estimate and also gave me work-study with my ED decision.
However, when I did my FAFSA with the new taxes (my family made less this year), my investment account obviously affected the outcome. I had a 9500 EFC and the opportunity to apply for the Stafford loan.</p>

<p>I had explained my amount of investments on the CSS Profile, my mom (divorced) makes less than 60k, so is the work-study being taken away since it wasn't on the summary page? I'm not sure what's going on.</p>

<p>I'm not sure what your question is. Your investments MUST be reported and are included in the financial aid calculation.</p>

<p>I'm wondering if my work-study is being taken away because it wasn't shown on the summary page when I completed the FAFSA? It was originally placed in my estimate by Brown. </p>

<p>Yes, I did report my investments. I reported it on the CSS Profile as well, which is why I'm confused it isn't showing up. Is that added on later?</p>

<p>Did your EFC go up or down?</p>

<p>I don't think work study is ever "awarded" via the FAFSA, I think that the school alone makes that decision, which is why you don't see it now, I believe. Brown is likely to still have you do work study.</p>

<p>ALL financial aid is awarded by the colleges. The determination for eligibility is made by the info on the FAFSA (and in the case of Brown...the Profile too). FAFSA doesn't award anything at all.</p>

<p>The impression I'm getting from the OP is that the financial aid award he received from Brown with his ED decision INCLUDED Work Study but a more recent award did not. </p>

<p>OP...the only way to get an answer to your question is to contact Brown. </p>

<p>Did Brown meet your full need without that Work Study award in the second award letter? If so, that is probably why you don't see it now. The school cannot award aid that exceeds the cost of attendance.</p>

<p>^^Work Study would show up on the finaid letter. OP if you have your final finaid letter from Brown, call Brown and ask them if they have removed work/study and if so why.</p>

<p>Can you list what exactly you got?</p>

<p>Work study is based on "need" and it sounds like you have need. Brown will decide whether you get it...not FAFSA. FAFSA is just an app.</p>

<p>Did Brown ask for non-custodial parent info? Or is your father deceased?</p>

<p>You can't just go by FAFSA EFC, since Brown uses CSS. FAFSA is just to determine any federal aid, but Brown will use CSS to mostly determine.</p>

<p>Are you saying that YOU (the student) have a lot of investments? If so, that can affect your aid.</p>