FAFSA Question 45J "What other money paid on your behalf" as an independent student

Hey everyone,

I am applying for aid for the first time. My parents supported me through undergrad and a 1-year grad school program (tuition, rent, and living expenses) in 2019.

While filling the 2021-22 FAFSA for the grad school program I am starting in Fall 2021, how much do I need to disclose in terms of what money was paid on my behalf?

I don’t plan on taking any more support from anyone and will be funding this degree through a combination of part-time work, scholarship money, and federal aid.

Any advice on answering this question would be really appreciated, thanks!

The money your parents paid for tuition for your grad program needs to be reported (assuming if you were a dependent undergrad, the undergrad tuition isn’t reported, since the expectation is that the parents pay tuition for dependent students). In addition, any money they paid for bills IN YOUR NAME has to be reported (for example, if they paid rent for a lease these in your name).

Beginning with the 2023-24 financial aid year, money paid on your behalf will no longer be reported on FAFSA. The truth is, though, that it won’t matter for most … there are no subsidized loans or federal need based grants at the graduate level. Just unsubsidized and Grad PLUS loans, neither of which will be affected by reporting money paid on your behalf. There might be some federal work study, which could be affected.

1 Like

Thank you so much! That is very helpful information :smile: