Family Members of Friends of Military Personnel

<p>Recently, my roommate’s friend who was deployed to Afghanistan died in combat. When he heard about it, he was obviously very upset and depressed. He told me that they were very close and were like brothers. Thinking about the loss of his friend, it made me think of my brother who is currently overseas and is part of this offensive in Afghanistan. It just makes me sad and depressed also since I just picture my brother dieing in combat. The fact that we were very close since we were little and he always took care of me no matter what. I just want to see who else on CC has family members or close friends that are overseas as well. May God Bless Them.</p>

<p>Can’t say I do. I’m really sorry to hear about your roommate’s friend. And I wish the best for your brother.</p>

<p>I sent you a pm.</p>

<p>Jim, my best wishes go out to your brother and your roommate. I lost my brother in law in Iraq. It’s an inexplicable kind of sadness that no one understands unless you’ve been through that. </p>

<p>Bless the troops and hope for a safe and speedy return!</p>

<p>I went to Marine Corps boot camp last year after graduating from high school. I was there for more than three months - I spent a lot of time in the Evaluation Holding Platoon (EHP) because I became very ill with an unusual virus. Eventually they had to discharge me after deciding that the effects it had on my body would not stand up to training. I was really depressed after that. I have a bunch of my boot camp friends on facebook now and they are all in their dress blues, just graduating from SOI or whatever, on their way to more training or overseas. And what am I doing? I’m a nasty civilian working for a market research agency who is going to college next year because you “have to” in order to have a future these days. I do not even want to go to college. It is all nonsense to me. I was supposed to be a helicopter crew chief. I know “The Guidelines for Marines” cover-to-cover and can teach my own course on Marine Corps History if I wanted to, but now all of that information is mostly useless, unless, like, it is pertinent in my future to know what the acronym LMGAS stands for. But nope, I’m going to school. ■■■.</p>

<p>/rant</p>

<p>Manhattan, to quote A Few Good Men, “you don’t need a patch on your shoulder to have honor.” You can still serve this country, even the Marines as a civilian.</p>

<p>I’ve grown up in a military family. Both of my parents are/were officers in the Navy and I live on Pearl Harbor. Most of my friends are military brats/joined the military. I have some friends doing ROTC in college and a couple friends at military academies (Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Merchant Marine Academy). Both of my girlfriend’s parents are/were in the Air Force. One of my cousins on my mom’s side is in the Marines and got back from his fourth tour in Iraq.</p>

<p>I’ve done one tour. </p>

<p>I also have friends that are going on the upcoming surge for Afghanistan.</p>

<p>My brother is currently in selection fir the Special Forces and we learn in a week whether he made it or not. His best friend was deployed to Haiti about a month ago and doesn’t have a clear exit day. </p>

<p>My friend’s brother is in the Guard and deploys next weekend for Afghanistan. She is a junior in high school and is scared for him. </p>

<p>My prayers out to all those who are in the military and their families.</p>

<p>My father was a career officer in the Army, eventually retiring as an O6. My cousin is in the Marines, did two tours in Iraq, was wounded and received a medal. I also have many friends who are in the military right now or who are currently in ROTC. It is truly amazing what a small world the military is.</p>