Famous/influential white male married to black female?

<p>The other day I was watching Wheel of Fortune, it was doing this NBA couples week. All three black males were married to stunningly beautiful white females. Thinking back, I don't really know any contemporary famous/influential white male married to African Americans. Examples?</p>

<p>I know David Bowie (singer) is married to a beautiful black woman, but I'm not sure if she's American or not.</p>

<p>Roger Ebert, I believe.</p>

<p>William Cohen, former Secretary of Defense, is married to Janet Langhart, a stunningly beautiful black journalist.</p>

<p>I don't know if Bowie is married to Iman anymore.</p>

<p>Bowie and Iman are still married, yes. Edgar Bronfman Jr's first wife was African American. Robert DeNiro's wife is also black.</p>

<p>My d tells me that two of the white actors who play doctors on Grey's Anatomy have black wives.</p>

<p>Wasn't Alice Walkers husband white?</p>

<p>If you're a foodie and especially a foodie from NYC, you would know of Jean-George. His wife is mixed african american/white.</p>

<p>Sy Kravitz (Producer) was married to Roxie Roker (The Jefferson's). Parents to Lenny Kravitz.</p>

<p>Robert DeNiro and Toukie Smith--live in partners/parents
DeNiro and Grace Hightower
Dawn French and Lenny Henry
Dianna Ross and Arne Naess
Grace Jones and Doph Lundgren
Serena Williams and Bret Ratner (Dir of Money Talks, Rush Hour)</p>

<p>To the OP: I think what is fairly well-known, and is proven by the replies to your post here, is that it is much more common for a famous black man to be married to a white woman, than the reverse. I don't know why it matters but this is the case, and has been for a long time.</p>

<p>It may be that for a long time (and perhaps still in certain circles), it was considered detrimental to a white man's career to have a black wife, while it is less so for a black man to have a white wife.</p>

<p>David Beckam (English soccer) and Victoria (Posh Spice) Beckam.
(I'm judging from photos - I'm not really up on celebrities, especially their races.)</p>

<p>Some black communities are matriarchal, whereas white families have been traditionally patriarchal. I'm guessing that it's been harder for a black woman and a white man to pair up because of that conflict of roles.</p>

<p>I don't know if famous or influential describe John Brecher, but he and his wife, Dorothy Gaiter, have been writing a wine column for years in the WSJ as well as books on the subject.
<a href="http://www.thecityreview.com/gaiter.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.thecityreview.com/gaiter.html&lt;/a>
has a bio attached.</p>

<p>Why does it matter? Maybe some people just are not physically attracted to black people. It's not their fault.</p>

<p>binx, Victoria Beckham is not black. Melanie Brown (who coincidentally has a white mother and a black father) was the Spice Girl who is black.</p>

<p>It's not that uncommon at all.</p>

<p>My wife's boss is an African-American woman who was married to a white man for many years.</p>

<p>One of my college roommates, who is a well-known and successful Washington lawyer (but not so prominent that I feel comfortable naming him here), and who is also white, has been married to an African-American college classmate (also a successful Washington attorney) for over 25 years. </p>

<p>One of the co-chairs of my law firm, who is white, is married to the head of a community development organization, who is Afro-Hispanic.</p>

<p>Finally, the obstetrician who delivered my kids is an African-American woman married to a well-know activist attorney who is white.</p>

<p>"It's not that uncommon at all."</p>

<p>Actually, it is. You happen to run in very unusual circles.</p>

<p>A quick Google search located the below from a 1986 article. I'm sure that if anyone has more time, they can find a more recent article that reflects a similar disproportion in the percentage of black women and black men who marry outside of their race.</p>

<p>" According to the 1980 Census, the percentage of interracial marriages has remained steady in the last decade. With 175,000 black-white marriages in the United States, only 64,000 are black women married to white men.
<a href="http://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF0904/Lane/Lane.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.aliciapatterson.org/APF0904/Lane/Lane.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Chris Noth and Beverly Johnson come to mind. They aren't together anymore; I believe Beverly dumped him. (I'll take him. ;) )</p>