Father of "Slumdog" child actor allegedly offers to sell her

<p>"The plot of Slumdog Millionaire may depict a street child’s life being turned upside down by a huge amount of money but the film’s British makers were determined that reality would not emulate art.</p>

<p>They said that they decided not to shower the child actors from Mumbai’s shantytowns with cash for fear of having “a transformative impact on their lives”.</p>

<p>That ambition was in tatters yesterday when it was alleged that the father of Rubina Ali, one of the film’s stars, had offered the nine-year-old for sale for £200,000 in an illegal adoption deal.</p>

<p>“We live in one room, seven of us sleep on the floor. I earn £2 to £3 a day. I have to consider what is best for me, my family and for Rubina’s future,” Rafiq Quereshi allegedly told an undercover reporter from the News of the World, who was posing as a potential buyer from a wealthy Dubai family…"
[Rubina</a> Ali’s family brawl after father denies offering Slumdog actress for sale - Times Online](<a href=“The Times & The Sunday Times: breaking news & today's latest headlines”>The Times & The Sunday Times: breaking news & today's latest headlines)</p>

<p>I read this earlier today; so very, very sad, but it seems to be rather commonplace in India. I can’t even imagine. How can emotionally attach to your children when you know from the start you may sell them down the line?</p>

<p>I’m thrilled to see this happy news coming out about some of the adults of the Slumdog cast:</p>

<p>[?Slumdog</a>? stars now a couple off the screen- msnbc.com](<a href=“http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30438088/]?Slumdog”>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30438088/)</p>

<p>

</p>