Feeling pressurized to stay in PhD program?

<p>I think I want to do the MPhil and then leave, but my supervisor has a huge personality and I am not sure how to broach the subject without annoying him.</p>

<p>I suggested it once, he was like "you'll be wasting a huge opportunity...."</p>

<p>HELP!</p>

<p>You know what they say about guys with huge personalities...</p>

<p>Clearly outline your reasons for why you want to leave after the MPhil...write it out first, practice how to say it without insulting the program, and then sit down with him. Allow him to discuss his thoughts, while also discussing yours, and have an open dialog about it. Don't let him do all of the talking and lecture you about leaving. Be sure you are heard. It is your decision, and it's better to try to talk it out and leave on good terms if you can.</p>

<p>You know what they say about guys with huge personalities...</p>

<p>Boyle's law says at constant temperature, they're less pressurized.</p>

<p>^roflcopter</p>

<p>I have until March to tell him. Should I just fire off an email?</p>

<p>Depends how close you are to the prof. If you're not close at all, do it in e-mail. If you're somewhat close, it'd probably be better to have a real conversation with him.</p>

<p>we get on well, but are not friends. shared love of IR and cricket.</p>

<p>You should definitely seek a meeting with him, and express your ideas to him fully. Outline your goals and plans in detail, and seek his advice and input. He may have some valuable advice for you. And you certainly don't want to burn any bridges with him, for many reasons.</p>

<p>
[quote]
we get on well, but are not friends. shared love of IR and cricket.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>and Emma Watson? :D</p>