filing taxes by 2/15, then amending ?

<p>For Rice, we need to file our taxes by 2/15. I know I will not have my 1099 from my broker by then. I'm thinking of filing using estimates, then amended when I get the 1099. Any thoughts? Would I have to update Fafsa/CSS after I amend my return?</p>

<p>I'm in the same position. Usually you can view your stock sales etc. and statements online and can make a very accurate guess without the 1099. That's what I'll be doing. Good luck. Either that or call the school and ask them what they recommend. Lots will be in the same situation this year as the IRS changed to asking for cost basis and it's delaying all the major brokerages.</p>

<p>"the IRS changed to asking for cost basis and it's delaying all the major brokerages."</p>

<p>They have until 2/15 to send them out (instead of 1/31).</p>

<p>You don't have to file taxes by 2/15, just the FAFSA and whatever other fin. aid, docs they want. File the FAFSA under "will file" for taxes, and then, after you do your taxes, go back in and make any changes to FAFSA you need to make. You can use tax returns from last year to help you estimate things for this year on FAFSA.</p>

<p>Rice specifically says that taxes must be e-filed w/ the IRS by 2/15.</p>

<p>As in Rice University? Funny, I just went to the Fin. aid page for the website, and the Deadline for new students is March 1. Where are you getting this? And I think you need to check carefully. Here's the link: Financial</a> Aid at Rice University</p>

<p>Saw this: *Although it is recommended that you file your tax return electronically, you may still chose to mail your tax returns to the IRS. If you send your tax returns by mail, please allow up to 8 weeks for the IRS to process your return before the FAFSA-IRS Data Retrieval tool can be used.
Obviously, in a perfect world, you could get them done, but if you can't, you can't. File the FAFSA, etc, with estimates now. Rice is probably figuring that the people who need the most aid will have the simplest tax returns to file, thus making it easy. If you have stock, etc, and it's more complicated, you're probably not going to get as much anyway...</p>

<p>Yes, Rice University. They sent an email with a PDF or you can see the specifics at this link:</p>

<p>Financial</a> Aid at Rice University</p>

<p>moneybags, you will be fine doing what was stated in post #4. Direct quote from the page you linked to:</p>

<p>Because each financial aid package is tailored to the student's and the family’s particular financial profile, we require a few forms in order to offer you an appropriate package. Although you may apply for financial aid at any time, we recommend following the application deadlines listed below in order to receive your financial aid package in a timely manner.</p>

<p>The key word is "recommend". The dates are not required dates.</p>

<p>I also think Rice is "recommending" such early tax filing due to the possibility of using the IRS data retrieval tool from your taxes to then help with the FAFSA. It may take you a little more time, and careful attention to detail, but you can fill the FAFSA in on your own using tax documents, last year's taxes, etc, instead of relying on the data retrieval tool.</p>