Financial Aid Arrived

<p>Anyone else?</p>

<p>Was it about what you expected or worse?</p>

<p>A little bit less than I expected.
In comparing the aid portion which doesn't have to be re-paid as compared to overall costs, it was a little bit lower than some other offers.
But, I think the co-op aspect has to be considered as possibly offsetting cost in years 3-5, and the fact at many other schools it might take 5 years to graduate (and those out of pocket 5th year costs could be substantial)</p>

<p>I'm still waiting to hear back.</p>

<p>Did they email you with your FA information or did they send you a letter?</p>

<p>Packet in the mail</p>

<p>My packet came today.</p>

<p>It was better than CWRU, although it still had more loans than I'm comfortable taking out. However, RIT at least was granting most of the loan money in Perkins and subsidized loans which are preferable to non-subsidized loans.</p>

<p>The thing I read about the Perkins is that if you get any outside scholarship money, they reduce the Perkins by the amount. Not sure how I feel about that.</p>

<p>ahh I run to check my mail everyday.</p>

<p>Im from OOS so the FA is going to be very important. I still haven't heard ANYTHING though. :|</p>

<p>I'm from Chicago and applied to RIT under regular decision. I got my acceptance letter a week or so after the rd deadline, but still haven't heard from them about financial aid. I'm getting really irritated because my other favorite school, RPI, accepted me AND told me my financial award online the following day. RPI is giving me 68,000 in scholarships over the four years, so I'm really tempted at this point to just enroll there and not wait on RIT. Should I be a little more patient? Is it really worth the wait anymore?</p>

<p>WAIT! You should never make such an important decision without ALL the information.</p>

<p>You have until May 1 at almost all colleges so give it at least another week. RIT will have the FA out soon and you'll be in a better position to decide whats best for you.</p>


<p>Please remember to compare the actual net cost of each college after comparing their total cost and then deducting any scholarships.</p>

<p>RPI's tuition, room and board for this year are $48,700. After deducting your $17,000 a year in scholarships - it still costs $31,700.</p>

<p>RIT's is $37,500. If RIT gives you just $6,000 a year, it would actually cost you less than RPI.</p>

<p>A cynical person would say that RPI is just playing a game - jack up the tuition price and then offer everyone a generous scholarship so they think they are getting a bargain.</p>

<p>Please wait until you see the financial aid package that you will be getting shortly. Then decide which place is best for you.</p>

<p>I finally got it. :) Its a little less than I expected and the loans are a bit too much. Does anyone know RIT's policy of appealing?</p>

<p>I think if you call the financial aid office and work with them reasonably you might be able to appeal. I don't know though. It sounds like they're low on money for financial aid this year. I still haven't gotten my financial aid decision.</p>

<p>My son received his FA award and it is the worst so far compared to Union, Clarkson and Binghamton. But Clarkson's $9000 merit scholarship is contingent on a 3.25 GPA. </p>

<p>We will be at the Accpted Student's Day on 3/27. I am trying to figure out a way of casually mentioning the other offers. I think RIT is my son's first choice.</p>

<p>I went to the Accepted Student's Open House today.</p>

<p>The financial aid counselors didn't seem willing to negotiate on the award. Their mantra is "co-op will offset it" but I have my doubts. </p>

<p>After grants for the first year, my son will still have to come up with $13725, $9500 through student loans. The second year about the same, maybe more aid from increased ACG. The co-op affect (reduced college expenses and income from co-op) is for years 3 and 4 only. Fifth year is back to full college expenses. Not knowing the co-op income it's difficult to say, but I estimate the total student loans over 5 years to be >$30000. </p>

<p>Not sure if my son is comfortable with that amount of debt.</p>

<p>He got much better offers from Union and Binghamton, both about $7000 better per year. Still waiting on a decision from Buffalo whose FA award will likely be similar to Binghamton and also a decision from U of Rochester.</p>

<p>He is really struggling with a decision because he likes RIT and the co-op program.</p>

<p>Any advice on whether a BS in Mechanical Engineering from RIT is worth an extra $20,000 in student loans over the same degree Union, BU and UB?</p>

<p>Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>Has everyone except me received their FA awards? I've been waiting for days and so far nothing! I heard from RPI 3 days after I got my acceptance letter. And after reading about what most people are receiving from RIT, it's not worth it if I love RPI after my visit next week.</p>

<p>if anyone is still watching this thread, I just wanted to let you guys know that I appealed my financial package and received an additional $5,000 grant! I really didn't think I would get anything over 2k, hence my surprise.</p>

<p>But yea, if another school has given you a better offer and you haven't sent in your deposit yet, appeal! Most of you probably have though, =/.</p>

<p>dm47- If you don't mind telling us.....What was the reason you gave RIT for needing additional aid? </p>

<p>My son also asked for his aid to be reconsidered based on family income loss. RIT did increase his grant aid by $2000, but they also increased his loans. </p>

<p>Thanks for the info!</p>