Financial Aid provides more than scholarships?

<p>I used a couple of financial aid calculators from USC and Berkeley. It seems like I will receive more money from financial aid (my family income is 23k with 5 people) than a full tuition + stipend scholarships. So will it be worth even applying to these scholarships knowing I might get the same or even more with financial aid (not including the work study and loans)</p>

<p>Need based financial aid can cover more than tuition. It can also cover anything else included in the cost of attendance. If you have financial need, absolutely apply for need based aid.</p>

<p>I believe there is an early application deadline for USC scholarship consideration. It is December 1…so you need to get that done ASAP. USC also requires submission of the CSS Profile. You might want to check the deadlines for that as well.</p>

<p>Also, as a CA resident, you are eligible for the Calgrant, and if your income is as you state, would receive a Pell (not sure how CA treats eligibility for both). </p>

<p>Just don’t miss the application deadlines!</p>

<p>Apply for the scholarships as well. There may be some benefits for you in using scholarship money for part of your total package.</p>

<p>Don’t be afraid to call the fin aid offices and ask about this! They are there to help you sort things out.</p>

<p>Apply to the schools with big scholarships as well. You will also get a full Pell Grant and maybe an SEOG grant, along with work study, etc. Because you’re low income, you’ll get both the scholarships and the need based aid.</p>

<p>Are you instate for the UC’s? If so, apply to those as well for good need based aid.</p>

<p>And if you are a Calif resident and get large merit to a Calif school, you’ll still get a Cal Grant and a Pell Grant.</p>

<p>Thanks for all the replies! I am a residence of California.</p>

<p>I am a nominee for a Berkeley scholarship of 8k per year or 32k for four years. I was wondering if it was worth going through the next process since if I do receive this scholarship it might hurt my other financial aids.</p>

<p>Unless you are going to a school that meets full need without loans, then absolutely it is worth applying for scholarships. The majority of schools do not meet full need and most schools will include loans in your financial aid. Most schools will allow you to use scholarships to replace the loans, gap, or other self help aid (like work study) before it will affect your grant aid.</p>

<p>am a nominee for a Berkeley scholarship of 8k per year or 32k for four years. I was wondering if it was worth going through the next process since if I do receive this scholarship it might hurt my other financial aids.</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>How would it hurt your other FA? You’d still get all the grants…Cal Grant, Pell Grant, and likely a UC grant. The scholarship would replace loans or work study. </p>

<p>I think you’re confused about how UCB does its FA.</p>