Finding a Consultant - chance of getting in for this Fall w/ late app

Hi all,

So, we have to move from FL to NJ this fall. Originally we had hoped to stay in FL another year before moving, hence, DS would apply to BS and/or Ppep (Day) school this fall for the following fall.

Things moved quicker and we need to move for this school year. I had heard once of a student in this situation and a “prep school consultant” helped the student get in quickly for that fall.

Is that possible at this point - does anyone have a Consultant to recommend?

We’d be willing to send him to Peddie, Hun, Blair, Lawrenceville. Anyone know if these schools have openings? Or if they’ve heard of wait list movement?

I know it’s a long shot at this point, especially because we also can’t pay full price. DS took the PSAT as a freshman and got a high score; he has all A’s (Honors classes) and one B (AP class with 4 on AP exam) from freshman year in HS (4.3 GPA).

Other option is to have him do FLVS (virtual school) this year to get a bunch of classes in at his (faster) pace, including a couple AP courses. Then apply this fall.

Any thoughts or know of a Consultant that could help?

Thanks!

According to the SSAT website, Blair is still accepting applications for this fall; they have a search filter which will allow you to search for schools accepting applications for fall 2016.

I’d just contact the admission office of schools you are interested in. They will let you know if it is possible. In general late applications are filed in wait listed pool automatically so late summer when spots become available which happens occasionally you’d be considered. Out of these schools, there may be others that “officially” still have openings for this fall. Try http://ssat.org/member-search for “schools currently accepting applicants”

Search “Florida Virtual School” on the forum, there are a few threads, for example:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1906142-any-experience-with-florida-virtual-school-for-online-high-school-courses.html

Save the money on a consultant and call each school directly. You will have your answer in seconds. And, depending on where you live in NJ, public schools can be a very good option. Also, check out local private schools (catholic etc).

A consultant who can get your child a spot that is closed otherwise would be really an admission broker. I don’t think that it can happen with competitive boarding schools in the U.S. Maybe if you can donate a building, I don’t know. Otherwise the open information can be easily obtained by calling the schools as suggested.

I can imagine it can be very hard with the schools you listed, and even more so if you need substantial financial aid (depends on what you meant by can’t pay full)

Not sure about that SculptorDad…because I have heard stories of this.

Nonetheless, it’s not really my style to pay a consultant.

I did email a few schools. Even the catholic prep school wont email me back - I don’t even think it’s full - but I think they are on vacation.

Are you full paying? Any schools coming back from the SSAT link I sent earlier? If so, Interested in any?

Lawrencevile responded that they are full - no surprised.
The others seem to think he’s applying for 2017-18 (auto email), but no response from admissions.
Cannot full pay, so probably blows the chances anyway.

If you are applying for FA, it’ll be even more difficult for this fall. Richer schools are mostly full and even there comes up a spot, an offer with FA to you would be a lottery win. I’d move on and focus on next year. Enroll him in local public school.

Emails aren’t going to work in this situation, you need to pick up the phone and start calling admissions offices – be persistent, polite, and persuasive.

Any thoughts on FLVS full time for next year? He could actually take more classes and he’s done FLVS classes to supplement already here in FL (has 2 this summer) so there would be more continuity for him; even take a couple AP classes. Then he could focus on applying this fall, for 11th prep or boarding school.

PS. One school did offer him a spot this summer- simply because he was going to do a camp there and they knew of his strong in terest/ability in computer science. But it’s far from home and and we’d prefer something within an hour (or 2 max) from home.

If this school offers sufficient FA and it’s a school you like, I’d take it. It would save so much uncertainties for next year. Even with strong credentials, getting an admission with FA is an uphill battle to most.

I am sorry but I feel kind of strange that you dismiss a boarding school because of that distance reason, considering all the circumstances that made it a long shot in your own world.

^ own word

It was a BS that my son was doing a camp at - which is closer to where we live now. My husband, my son, and I all want him within an hour of home once we move to NJ. The issue is not whether we want BS - if there were a good option within driving distance, we’d prefer that, but there is not.

This school is not at the same caliber as the ones in NJ, either. So we will wait a year. We are not desperate. But we don’t want to put him in the LPS for a couple reasons. He will homeschool/virtual school for a year if need be.

To be clear, the one he was doing a camp at offered him a spot. It was full price at a school not known for giving a lot of scholarship $.

And I’ve been told that sometimes even merit aid comes available, if a student who had merit aid gives up a spot in the summmer.

@sunnyschool, based on your comment,

and other comments on the thread, I assumed that, 1. The distance was the only issue with the school that made an offer (perhaps with enough aid and good academics), and 2. You prefer, but not require 1~2 hour distance from home. (considering that I am sending mine 3000 miles away)
I am a strong proponent of homeschooling.

It is possible to be admitted with FA for this fall especially if your financial need is not significant. Based on our experience, it is an unlikely outcome but it’s not impossible. Not even trying to “play devils advocate”. Just trying to be objective and realistic.