Finding Housing in Manhattan

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>My kid has been offered an interview for an internship with a hedge fund in New York for this summer. However, before accepting the interview, we have to confirm that he'll have a place to stay for this summer. How does one go about finding housing in Manhattan? What's the price range for a summer? What areas are safe for a college student to be in? If the fund is located on Wall Street, what areas would be cost-effective while minimizing the commute time? </p>

<p>Housing is needed till late August or early September 08. His College starts in late September. Thus housing is needed for 3 months period over 08 summers. </p>

<p>Any help would be appreciated!</p>

<p>Here's a thread I started a couple years ago when S needed housing. We did end up finding a place on Craigslist. And last summer he sub-let it, also via Craigslist.</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/215754-sudent-housing-manhattan-help.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/215754-sudent-housing-manhattan-help.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Here is a similar thread:
<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/428772-know-anyone-nyc-who-takes-boarders.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/428772-know-anyone-nyc-who-takes-boarders.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>NYU opens up its dorms and apartments for the summer</p>

<p>There is a student residence hall in Brooklyn Heights (one subway stop from Wall st.) that is open in the summer. The</a> Clark Street Residence | Residences | Educational Housing Services</p>

<p>The neighborhood is very nice, safe, convenient. It fills up fast though, so you should move fast.</p>

<p>Second NYU. Also the St. George Hotel, which is adjacent to Clark Street, and the Columbia affiliated International House. </p>

<p>The</a> Hotel St. George | Residences | Educational Housing Services</p>

<p>I think your son can accept the interview before sorting out housing plans. An interview is not a commitment on either side. </p>

<p>If this is a second round interview or if it's appropriate, he can certainly ask about where interns normally live, costs, and whether a housing stipend is offered. It may be appropriate to ask the interviewer, an internship program coordinator, or someone from HR these questions, depending on the firm's particular set-up. Your son should have a feel for this.</p>

<p>While NYU summer housing is a good option (but first come first serve and have to be right on it when it opens up), it may not be a good option for this young man. I say that because for those not continuing on as NYU students in fall dorm housing, summer residents must move out about Aug. 3 and that would not tide him over to the ending of the internship.</p>

<p>I also agree with corranged to do the interview as it is not like he has it sewn up yet and if he gets the job offer, he'll have many months to secure some summer housing.</p>

<p>Corranged and Soozie have good points about getting the cart before the horse. One thing we had to get used to was that housing in NYC is pretty much only done as an urgent thing. (Not counting dorm situations where there might be a sign-up period months ahead of time.) People tend to look, sign, and move-in, all in the same week. That's hard for those of us who like to plan things in advance.</p>

<p>An out-of-town female intern in the place my D's interning is at the 92nd Street Y (better than it sounds). My friend's S got a summer sublet from a teacher who was traveling for the summer-Upper East Side, no less. Try Craigslist too. Also, the firm may have multiple interns who are looking to share housing. Just be prepared to spend a small fortune!</p>

<p>D's friend used the Clark street Residnce a few years back when he came to NYC to do the NYC teaching Fellows program. Its safe, clean and well managed. They'll be kids of all college ages and recent grads there doing all sorts of NY things.Its pretty much dorm style though its easy b/c one bill pays all and no sub- let responsibilities. NYU and Columbia are problematic due to move out dates.</p>

<p>Son has been offered summer internship positions from very prestigious hedge funds. After initial thought, he is going to accept the offer from one of the firms. After looking at the responsibilities, he is going to accept the offer from the firm located in Wall Street. He will responsible for research, trading as well as investment strategies. Pay is only $10 per hour so I need to find a reasonably cheap place where he can in summer in NY City. </p>

<p>Please let me know where to look for cheap place where he could stay. He will be getting only $4000 for 10 weeks. Had he accepted the summer internship at Washington Post, he would have got more money. If he takes a job in a hedge fund in Chicago, they would pay more but responsibilities are not that great. In addition, firm is a prestigious hedge fund. </p>

<p>I need help from you guys to find a modest but safe place to live in Manhattan/Brooklyn that is close to Wall Street area. In addition if there are place so he can eat dinner at night rather at a reasonable price. Thanks</p>

<p>I think he should go onto Craigslist in NYC/Manhattan/housing and try to find someone who's trying to sublet their bedroom in a shared roommate situation where they have one-year leases, but someone needs to be away for the summer. This happens a LOT in NYC, especially among students.</p>

<p>Then he can get a sublease, deal with other roommates to split the utilities for the short time he is there. He can screen the roommates by email and then go see the spot, if he's near the city now or will be in during a holiday. He'll have to explore enough situations that he understands the market, what's affordable and so on, so when he sees a good one he's ready to be decisive. Don't take the very first place you discover; try to shop and get a feeling for the market first.</p>

<p>Presumably he can just use the furniture of the roommate going away for the summer.</p>

<p>There is a waitlist for summer housing applicants who are non-nyu students.</p>

<p>Expand your horizons: don't forget the PATH train from New Jersey. It's basically a subway that goes directly to the financial district. He should look in Hoboken and Jersey City also.</p>

<p>Why does it have to be "close to Wall Street"? Why not the Upper West Side, for example? Is it because he anticipates leaving late at night?</p>

<p>Oh dear. Upper West Side takes forever to get to Wall Street. D had internship opportunity on Wall Street and couldn't take it as Barnard student because it took to much time from her schedule. She took a less prestigious but closer internship.</p>

<p>55</a> John Street Residence | Educational Housing Services</p>

<p>how is this place?</p>

<p>Yes, mythmom, I can see that taking the train from the upper west side would add an unacceptable amount of time for a college student with classes and other obligations, but this kid is going to be a summer intern with no other responsibilities. Tons of people live outside Manhattan and work in the financial district. I used to commute almost 2 hours each way into NYC every day, and so do many, many others. Not saying its desirable, but it is doable. And the time from the UWS is probably going to be more like 45 minutes door to door, depending on where the doors are. :)</p>

<p>I also know students who stayed at the 92nd street YMHA. It's in a great neighborhood, and the family and student actually loved it.</p>

<p>okay. I just wouldn't think it the best choice, but sure.</p>

<p>For neighborhood locations, perhaps Chinatown or the Lower East Side have affordable dwelling places for individual students as boarders with a family, or groups of students in a simple apartment.</p>

<p>Me? I think I'd sleep under the desk each night, wake up, have coffee with the brokers and wait for the stock exchage to ring itself open with that bell.</p>

<p>Still, Mythmom brings up an important way to open up the discussion of neighborhoods.
Many new yorkers count neighborhood closeness according to the subway stops.
If a neighborhood is near an express stop, that's meaningful. Every fare ride costs exactly $2., or less with a metrocard, but you can get far from one neighborhood using the subway to find affordable housing. Then you do that weight-and-balance thought process: how man minutes am I willing to commute, how many blocks walk to the subway station, to save how many $ by being in a more budget neighborhood than right where I work. WHen my S lived on 125th St. he felt close-in simply because it had an express stop so he could reach Times Square in l0 minutes flat. People livng in Brooklyn and New Jersey also talk in these terms. </p>

<p>Closeness has less to do with how things look on a map with a compass radius; more important is which train line it's near, how frequently and late the trains actually run; are they express or local, and so on. Just as plane routes affect our understanding of map geography, the NYMTA system makes neighborhoods come closer together. </p>

<p>More on subways: It;;s helpful to jump on an express, but even at an express stop I saw that my S, like others, would hop onto a local subway, take it as far as the next possible express, look out across the tracks and sometimes switch off the local and onto the express by walking across the platform. These are no added fares. Similarly, switching train lines means no additional fare. </p>

<p>Subway stations are hot in the bad summer months but the trains are air-conditioned so that helps a lot. Also remember that in NYC people walk a lot more than they would in other locations. </p>

<p>There are many options for choosing neighborhoods because of the subway system.
The most brilliant thing they ever did with planning NYC was to declare the identical fare for all boroughs and all stops. That pulled the 5 boroughs together. I learned this from a Ken Burnes documentary, and hope genuine NYC-dwellers say it's so. I just visit.</p>