First Language

<p>For the Demographics, how is the information used? </p>

<p>My first language was Taiwanese and English. I learned them at pretty much the same time. Since Pre-school I could speak both. I think 'officially' it was Taiwanese, though. I am applying to a lot of Ivys and top colleges. Will they discriminate against me speaking Taiwanese as a first language. I speak English as well as the next guy; I'm in Model UN, etc. and have no accent. Should I just put English, and Taiwanese as another language. </p>

<p>Also, if I put Taiwanese as my first language, and English as my second, should I list Taiwanese again in 'Are you proficient in any other languages?' or is that redundant. If I put Taiwanese as my first language, will they give me trouble and make me take English learning classes. </p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Listing Taiwanese won't act as a "hook" in admissions because of the selectivity of the asian applicant pool. It will be of no benefit or detriment to you whichever you choose. But yes, you should list it in the proficiency section because knowing another language is always helpful!</p>

<p>Are you Taiwanese? Languages don't hurt you, because if you are Asian, it goes on your application regardless. Knowing another language will help you because it'll help you stand out.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If I put Taiwanese as my first language, will they give me trouble and make me take English learning classes.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Don't worry, they won't make you take English learning classes for putting down a language other than English for your first language :].</p>