First SAT test in June

<p>Okay, I'm going to take my first SAT this June, I am wondering how I should study. I just kinda started right now, I have these books:</p>

<ul>
<li>Barron's SAT 25th edition</li>
<li>Barron's reach 2400 on SATs</li>
<li>Blue Book </li>
</ul>

<p>On my PSATs at the beginning of the year, I scored a 1550... I didn't study or anything, I honestly didn't even know we had PSATs. </p>

<p>Anyways, I am not that much of a math person, I'm decent while in reading I'm above above average. Anyways, do you think maybe I should just focus on reading this time and math when I take it again next year October? I heard something about how we can choose a section from this test and a section from the October and combine them, for a high score or something. </p>

<p>Anyways, please give me some advice, I will be first in my family at this so don't know much.</p>

<p>bump, hope it's allowed.</p>

<p>I would say it's a bad idea to only study for one part of the SAT for May. You don't have to put in as much time as you think if you prepare the right way. As an SAT math tutor the rest of my comments will be restricted to the math section. Here are a few tips:</p>

<p>(1) Learn SAT specific math strategies. If you don't know these, then you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage. For example, if you find yourself doing algebra or complicated computations, then you are not optimizing your score.
(2) Practice SAT math problems 10 to 20 minutes per night. This will maximize your retention and keep you from burning out.
(3) Redo every problem you get wrong OVER and OVER and OVER again (a few days apart each time) until you can get the question correct ON YOUR OWN.
(4) Practice problems of the appropriate level.
(5) Practice tests should be taken just a few times to make sure you are applying all the right strategies under timed conditions, and to make sure you are familiar with the structure of the test. This is NOT the time that you are actively improving your score.</p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the first SAT and I'm the first from my family to take it... My parents have degrees from another country. </p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>Take some practice tests and time yourself. See how you can do. You can't really study well for vocab in such short time so focus on memorizing root words. Memorize the 14 writing errors that they test and you should be set</p>

<p>Xtol, do you happen to have a list of those 14 errors? :]</p>