Football, Dance, and Other Extras

<p>My daughter, a high school junior, is considering attending Carnegie Mellon. Can someone tell me what the football team and support for the football team are like at CMU? </p>

<p>Also, does the school have a dance team? We couldn't figure that out from the website.</p>

<p>In general, how is the social life their for students and in particular what is it like for female freshmen?</p>

<p>The football team here is weak and support is pretty low. That's not surprising considering we're not division one. Why the question?</p>

<p>There are a /lot/ of dance teams at CMU, from Ballroom dancing to Indian ethnic dancing.</p>

<p>Social life is good and very few people are the stereotypical reclusive CS geek.</p>

<p>I know it may seem like an odd criteria, but it's part of her selection process. We are in the south and the football tradition is pretty strong.</p>

<p>Haha, if that's the case, she should pretty much only focus on division one schools.</p>

<p>If you are looking for strong football tradition, CMU is absolutely the wrong place. As CMUCompFinance said, support for the football team is very, very low. They generally end up offering food and free giveaways to get people to go. People still don't really go. </p>

<p>CMU has many redeeming qualities, but no question that it's the wrong school if you're looking for any kind of focus on football.</p>

<p>If she doesn't mind heading down the street, though, Pitt is a Division I team with a fairly strong following (though not nearly that of a large land-grant state school).</p>

<p>The Steelers are also an option.</p>

<p>I'm assuming given that you have a daughter and she's interested in dance + football (but not playing football...), she's a member of a song or cheer team? If so, going to Pitt games might not be too satisfying, since she couldn't join their team. If she just wants to cheer for some football team, Pitt games are great.</p>

<p>To be honest, although the city has the Steelers and there's the Pitt Panthers, CMU really isn't the place for people who are super into sports/athletics. Our school spirit tends to be directed towards other subjects.</p>

<p>Thanks to all for the feedback. It was very helpful.</p>

<p>One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the student run Dancer's Symposium held twice a year. Students choreograph, cast, and dance in a ~2 hour show.</p>

<p>+Things like Bhangra in the Burgh, soul stylz, ballroom club, and other cmu dance teams.</p>

<p>literally have never seen a non-Indian person compete in Bhangra... they seem sort of exclusive. ಠ_ಠ The others are pretty cool, though. And Dancers Symposium rocks hardcore.</p>

<p>Yeah, don't go for CMU if you're huge into the whole football tradition. The team itself isn't that bad but the support isn't too strong. Steelers games are almost impossible to get in, and the Panthers aren't very good. I rode by one of their games and the stands were pretty desolate too. Their basketball team is really strong but it doesn't sound like that's too important to her. If she wants to go to school in this region though, Penn State has a HUGE following and a great team.</p>

<p>There was a white guy on CMU Bhangra at one point (he isn't on it this year). His name was Quinn.</p>

<p>Didn't believe you, stalked him on facebook, found his Bhangra photos. You win this round.</p>