Foreign language for UC schools?

<p>Hi everyone, I am planning on applying to UCLA and UC Berkeley. I am originally from China, and moved to America in 1999. Chinese was my first language and I speak fluent Chinese, but cannot read or write it. It is also the language we use at home. In high school, I took no foreign language at all. Is there any way I can get around the foreign language requirement for undergrad admission to these two UC schools? </p>

<p>I was under the impression that if you list English as a second language, schools typically will not make you prove your proficiency in your first language. They can only question your English ability. If that's the case, then I should be good as I have a 2360 SAT score and 5's on 5 AP exams, including AP Language & Composition. Also, the rest of my resume, I have been told, is quite impressive, so would the lack of a foreign language credit even be a setback for me?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help everybody!</p>

<p>You can satisfy the language requirement by taking the SAT subject test or an AP test in a language: University</a> of California - A-G courses</p>

<p>You can also qualify for UC by examination, which avoids the a-g requirements. However you will need to subject tests.</p>

<p>Cal and UCLA prefer to see FL, however, so mention your 'fluency' in the Other section of the app.</p>

<p>University</a> of California - Admission by exam</p>

<p>Ok so I looked at bluebayou's link and I'm a little confused and relieved at the same time. I got a 2360 on my SAT I and 790 on 3 different SAT II's. So according to the link, I am way above the requirements necessary for admission by exam. Does this mean I do not have to meet the standard requirements for a foreign language, and does admission by exam put me at any disadvantage?</p>

<p>Even though you CAN qualify by exam, with UCLA/UCB, nothing is guaranteed. Most everybody would qualify by exam for those schools.
Are you a in-state resident? </p>

<p>I really think you should attempt to take the [url=<a href="http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-subject-test-preparation/chinese%5DChinese"&gt;http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-subject-test-preparation/chinese]Chinese&lt;/a> with Listening - SAT Subject Test Practice Questions<a href="SAT2%20Chinese%20Listening">/url</a> just to be on the safe side.</p>

<p>The thing is you came to this country in 1999. You had plenty of time to take a foreign language and I think Adcoms may have mixed thoughts about that. At least prove you are proficient in Chinese. Even though English is not your first language, you still need to prove your proficiency by taking the subject language tests.</p>

<p>And sorry for the rant, but I just wish school counselors would impress this on HS students so kids are not in their senior year with this situation. And it is upto the students and their parents too to be on top of these things. Anyway, sorry, I had to put that in. I still think you might be able to do well in the SAT2 subject chinese listening.</p>

<p>I am not an in-state resident. And although I would pass the listening part of the SAT II Chinese test with flying colors, I cannot read or write. The best I could possibly expect would be a score of 700, which puts me at like the 30th percentile. Would it still make sense for me to take the subject test? Also, how exactly do I qualify for admission by exam?</p>

<p>
[quote]
how exactly do I qualify for admission by exam?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>READ the link I posted in #3. It is rather self-explanatory. (Hint: you need 425 point if OOS.)</p>