foreign students living in america

<p>alright, i was born in germany, and lived there for 12 years. In less then 3 years i had the pronounciation and the basic vocabulary down. I came to the U.S in 6th grade, and got through middle school farely well. As i got into High School, I did not realize that school actually counted (not like middle school, I stopped studying after 6th grade because people didn't seem to care), because i was not familiar with the school system in the U.S. My grades were bad and I suddenly realized i needed to do better because this counts. I raised my grades, and brought them up quite a bit. I did alright on the ACT/SAT's, except on the enlish section, where the vocabulary gives me the most trouble.
Do you think colleges will understand this, and will it also give me an advantage that i was born in another country?</p>

<p>Well, it might help <em>a little tiny bit</em>, but not much. You've been here for almost 6 years, after all.</p>

<p>You might not be in as bad shape as you think, though. Colleges and Universities really like to see improvement, so if you've done better since freshman year, they might see a student who is becoming serious about studying, and that helps.</p>

<p>You might want to talk about your situation in your personal statements (essays) on you college applications, but make sure it doesn't sound like you're just making excuses.</p>