Founding of UChicago (from a Harvard point of view)

<p>The Harvard Crimson did quite a few articles on the founding of the University of Chicago back in the day. </p>

<p>A sample are below (mostly from 1891 and 1892.) Some interesting history for you future UChicagoans...!</p>

<p>No</a> Headline | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>The</a> Harvard Crimson | The New University of Chicago.</p>

<p>No</a> Headline | Opinion | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>The</a> New University of Chicago. | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>The</a> Harvard Crimson | Innovations at the Chicago University.</p>

<p>The</a> Harvard Crimson | Fact and Rumor.</p>

<p>Fact</a> and Rumor. | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>No</a> Headline | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>Chicago</a> University Building. | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>The</a> Harvard Crimson | No Headline</p>

<p>Progressive</a> Colleges Established in Nation In Last Sixty Years | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>President</a> Harper of Chicago Dead | News | The Harvard Crimson</p>

<p>These are hilarious, thanks for the post! I especially love this one, </p>

<p>
[quote]
The whole scheme breathes that nervous, restless haste which is one of the most deplorable features of American life; and when our universities come to forget that "school" means leisure, and that high-thinking cannot be hurried, one of the last safeguards against the national vice of over-pressure will be lost

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Fun coming to die since 1892 xD.</p>

<p>Thank you for finding these! Lol at Kent being the most expensive building.. Seems like the chem department knew how to get the best stuff from the very beginning :P</p>

<p>
[quote]
Among the professional schools which Chicago hopes to establish are...engineering

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Hmm... ;)</p>

<p>Extremely interesting. I'd forgotten that the quarter system was originally meant to allow us to get our degrees in three years. Jesus, I can't even imagine...</p>

<p>And one from the NY Times from 1890:</p>

<p>THE OFFER TO PROF. HARPER.; YALE WILL NOT LOSE HIS SERVICES FOR THE PRESENT, AT LEAST.</p>

<p>[ DISPLAYING ABSTRACT ]</p>

<p>NEW HAVEN, Conn., Sept. 21. -- Prof. William R. Harper arrived home from Chicago late last night. When asked whether he had decided to accept the Presidency of the new Chicago University he said:</p>

<p>Full article here:
THE</a> OFFER TO PROF. HARPER. - YALE WILL NOT LOSE HIS SERVICES FOR THE PRESENT, AT LEAST. - View Article - NYTimes.com</p>

<p>I have always been partial to this 1903 quote from William James:

[quote]
Chicago University has during the past six months given birth to the fruit of its ten years of gestation under John Dewey. The result is wonderful-a real school, and real Thought. Important thought, too! Did you ever hear of such a city or such a University? Here [at Harvard] we have thought but no school. At Yale a school but no thought. Chicago has both."

[/quote]
</p>