Frat scene

<p>Can someone give me a basic description of how frats influence the social life at NU?</p>

<p>I am a parent of a Northwestern student. Frats are located on the north end of campus. My son's fraternity does a very significant amount of fundraising for charities. There are semi-formal dinners, and formal dinners at spectacular Chicago restaurants, ski trips to Colorado, intramural athletic competitions and he enjoys meals prepared by the best chef on campus at his house.
The southside of campus is not frat oriented, is more artsy & adjacent to Evanston & its great restaurants.
As an engineering student you will be exposed to the frats more than the southside schools & engineering students at almost all engineering schools nationwide tend to relieve stress on the weekends at frat parties.
Frats are one way that university students choose to make a big school small, as in "you can't make a small school big, but you can make a big school small".</p>

<p>coldwin-what frat is that? also, can you talk about other frats if you know anything about them?</p>

<p>A student's mother is probably not going to give the best advice about frats on campus, IMHO (I am in a frat as well and I doubt my mom would be able to tell someone anything besides "my son loves being in a fraternity" and basically what was said above, but wouldn't know anything specific about the frat OR other ones on campus)-- so, take this stuff with a grain of salt. </p>

<p>Generally, I find it's best to make your own impressions of campus frats by going to sunday night dinners and other events throughout the fall. You have plenty of time to find out which, if any, are good fits for you.</p>

<p>I think the OP asked more about how fraternities impacted the social scene at NU rather than ask about fraternities specifically - in that respect, I think ColdWind gave a fair description (the one thing I would differ on is that since frosh tend to live on North campus, that many students, aside from those who have most of their classes at Tech, get familiar w/ the fraternity scene).</p>

<p>And generally, as the administration has cracked down on drinking at fraternities (as at many schools), the fraternities are not the center of the social scene (well, the drinking part of it) as they once were (tho, they are probably still an impt. part).</p>

<p>Most of what was said already was accurate; I was more caveating if the responder chose to answer the OP's request for additional info on other frats.</p>