Freaking out right now

<p>I just found out that only like 1% of applicants get accepted to a Med School. My friend said that only a couple hundred apply SO ONLY LIKE 5 PEOPLE GET ACCEPTED ***!!!!!!!</p>

<p>Zomg I'm not even considering med school anymore HOW DO YOU EVEN HAVE A CLASS WITH 5 PEOPLE LET ALONE AN ENTIRE SCHOOL ***!????????????????????????</p>

<p>Changing my major to anything but Biology now. God knows that I would've done after I got rejected from med SChool and got stuck with a biology degree. Cryin X.X</p>

<p>Medical</a> School Acceptance Rates</p>

<p>I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers. Roughly 45% of applicants to med school will get into a med school (43,000 applicants for 19,000 spots). What you posted are the individual med school acceptance rates (which are generally under 10%). But, obviously, the average person will apply to a lot more than one med school.</p>

<p>Nujaar, I believe those are actually a mixed list of the acceptance and the matriculation rates relative to the 5000+ people that apply to a given school. Remember that even though 150 or so students attend a given medical school, each school can accept anywhere from 150% of that number to 400% of that number. Many students get accepted to several schools, which is the reason for that. As norcal said, even though any given school has low chances, by applying to 10-20 schools you greatly increase your chance of getting in somewhere. That is why we always advise students to apply broadly as well as early.</p>

<p>How many students usually get accepted to a school each year. Like 150 students?</p>

<p>It depends on the school. MS1 class sizes range from about 55 to about 300. </p>

<p>Numbers for each school from 2011 here:</p>

<p><a href="https://www.aamc.org/download/161128/data/table1.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;https://www.aamc.org/download/161128/data/table1.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>(Look at matriculants, not applicants)</p>

<p>Does everyone from the incoming class take the same classes? If so, how many?</p>

<p>At least at D1's med school, everyone takes the exact same classes together. (And that includes the PA students too who take a curricula identical to the med students for the first year.) Big lectures. Individual labs (like for anatomy--they worked in groups of 4). Her school uses PBL so lots of small group (4-8 people) projects. Her school introduces clinical skills early (within the first month) and they work in smaller groups (10-25) for that.</p>

<p>Other schools function differently, but for the lecture courses--yeah, everyone takes the same classes at the same time. They all take the same exams together too.</p>

<p>What's PBL! Why do you keep using so many confusing acronyms!!</p>

<p>And probably, how many classes do you take? Is it like undergrad, where there's a number of credit hours?</p>

<p>PBL = problem based learning. It varies from school to school and class to class but usually it is a small group discussion with a professor present about a topic using a patient presentation and clinical story as the backbone for the discussion. For example, in our GI course we would first run through physio/anatomy of organ in question, then pathophys of various diseases on differential including why some made more or less sense, then talk not only about what treatments but how each worked. Ideally, the prof only speaks when the group is stumped.</p>

<p>At most (all?) med schools you don't pick your courses like you do in undergrad with the exception of maybe kids doing dual degrees like MD/MPH or MD/MS or MD/PhD. There are two main models for how classes work. Some schools have an integrated curriculum where you have blocks based on organ systems and you do anatomy, histology, physiology, pathophys, and pharm for each organ before moving on to the next. Some schools have the first year normal, second year abnormal setup where first year is essentially learning all of the normal anatomy, physiology, histology and second year you learn all the diseases and how they affect the anatomy, physiology and histology of the body. At my school for example, I'm usually never taking more than 4 classes, but again, it depends on whether you count pharm as a separate course or include it in pathophys, whether histology and physiology are separate or not, etc.</p>

<p>Med school is more like high school than college in that you have class most/all day, and everyone around you is taking the same classes as you.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help! So I guess even though you're only taking 4 courses, its a lot of work!</p>

<p>Do you get grades? Or are you just trying to pass the Step 1,2 etc</p>

<p>Some schools have grades during the first half, some don't. Almost all have grades during the second half, which is the "clinical" part of your education where you are on the wards.</p>

<p>As far as the courseload, I have heard it likened to a 25-30 credit semester in undergrad, though I'm not sure that I necessarily agree because unlike as a pre-med you are under no obligation to pursue extracurricular if you don't want to.</p>

<p>Very interesting. How do people cope with the rigorous courseload? Do a lot of people drop out of Med school?</p>

<p>Every med student has his/her own coping mechanisms to deal with stress. But they all study an insane amount of hours. And they learn to study very efficiently.</p>

<p>Very few people drop out of med school. (Nationally, it's <4%, I believe.) Adcomms select people who have demonstrated persistence and dedication. Getting into med school is a long, difficult and often complicated journey--not something anyone undertakes lightly.</p>