French language school for me?

<p>I'm a parent, son will go to college next week and my H will relocate to Asia for 6 months which I already decided not to go with him (for some reasons).
So, I will be an empty nester very soon, I got to plan something.</p>

<p>What should I do for these 6 months? Stay at home alone and do the daily routine?
Short distance travel with friend? I'm not sure they will have time to do this.
Find a job? Yes, I plan to do so but I prefer few months free time for myself then find a right job for me.<br>
Or, go to Europe, find a language school, home stay (2 months), explore the continental and learn one language. French? I'm a totally beginner!</p>

<p>Do you think this is a good idea for an almost 50 years old women? Will I fit in (inside or outside the classroom)?</p>

<p>I think it would be fun. Alliance Francaise probably has classes in various towns, but I don't know if they arrange homestays. I attended this program many moons ago - it's still going strong. I imagine it's still mostly young people, but I think you could still enjoy it: Institut</a> de Touraine I do recommend getting in as much French as possible before you go. It's pretty hard to do total immersion if you are starting from ground zero.</p>

<p>Do it! Just learned some French and went to France for the first time. What a wonderful place! Look for BBC French on line, as there are very basic tutorials that are good for wrapping your ears around the language. </p>

<p>My D, just returned from France had a good line. Basic French is hard, basic Spanish is easy. Advanced French is easy, advanced Spanish is hard. Getting the sound of that language connected with what is on paper is not simple, though there are many written cognates. </p>

<p>Study how the French dress, or follow the Dressing Young thread, to figure out how to visually not stand out too much. Learn the essential manners, such as greeting people when you walk into a shop, etc.</p>

<p>"Study how the French dress, or follow the Dressing Young thread, to figure out how to visually not stand out too much. Learn the essential manners, such as greeting people when you walk into a shop, etc."#3^^^</p>

<p>La Seduction: How the French Play the Game of Life [Hardcover]
Elaine Sciolino (Author)</p>

<p>An interesting read.</p>

<p>I will do it! </p>

<p>My concerns:</p>

<ol>
<li>How to learn some basic French during one month?</li>
<li>Budget! Europe is so expensive. Beside air ticket, tuition and accommodation (which I can get from school website), how much should I prepare for "pocket money"? I know this is quite personal, maybe I should ask: how much your college kids will bring to France for 3 months study abroad?</li>
</ol>

<p>There is almost too much useful stuff to start with.</p>

<p>Try Pimsleur (oral French lessons)</p>

<p>"French in Action" (a college course, it is on Youtube)</p>

<p>Start with this. </p>

<p>BBC</a> - Languages - French: All you need to start learning French</p>

<p>No, France is not cheap, but less expensive out of Paris.</p>