Freshman Summer Session

<p>So I'm waitlisted at Stanford. I already submitted the SIR to Berkeley and would like to attend its Freshman Summer Session. The situation is that I will attend Stanford if I get accepted off the waiting list. However, the requirements for application to this program are to be an admit and to have submitted the SIR. If it turns out that I attend Stanford this fall, will I still be able to attend the summer session and pay the same rate as do Berkeley students? Also, will those credits count toward my Stanford transcript?</p>

<p>Thanks for any input.</p>

<p>The courses you can take are the same ones you could have registered for as a non-Cal student - anyone who is past grade 10 can apply and take the courses themselves. The main difference is that you will pay the lower rate for Cal students, rather than the general public rate. Seems to me that if you end up notifying Cal that you won't be attending (or for example become 'in default' by not making additional payments or deposits or meeting various requirements prior to school start), the worst that would happen is a higher bill at the general public rate. you would still be allowed to finish the courses and they would be reported by transcript to any other college.</p>

<p>Now, whether Stanford accepts specific courses is something you need to verify - each university has its own policies on what courses they accept and whether those courses satisfy pre-reqs, count toward the major, and so forth. In general, of course they accept courses from other top tier schools, but you need to check it down to the university and the department, regardless of which college you might attend during summer.</p>

<p>So if I registered for the courses and paid the bill when I'm still a Cal student, will they charge me extra as I notify them of my attendance at Stanford?</p>

<p>When you notify Cal that you are not attending, they will llkely deactivate the financial accounts (CARS) which may be a trigger. Further, it is a violation of the terms for both Cal and Stanford to be dually enrolled (as incoming freshmen) - worst case scenario is both schools rescinding your offer, thus I would not recommend attempting to fool both through the entire summer. When you are sure you are heading to Stanford, notify Cal. No need to explicitly notify the summer program, as you enrolled in good faith (as you are currently an entering freshman) and you will have notified Cal admission if you retract your enrollment because the Stanfurd waitlist clears. There is no obligation to individually contact each department and organization within the university, once you did the only mandated notification that you will not matriculate. I would say the odds are better than even that nobody ever contacts you for incremental tuition.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks for the advice.</p>

<p>But what are the chances that you'll get off the waitlist. I haven't met anyone who PLANS or EXPECTS to get accepted off a waitlist from Stanford. I mean, it's always possible, but it's best to just look forward instead and plan as if you're going to Berkeley. (That's what I'm doing as a Harvard and MIT waitlistee)</p>

<p>Handlebars, I'm in the same situation you are (except waitlisted Harvard and Caltech). I've pretty much gotten insanely excited about Berkeley, getting everything planned out, including summer session and what not.</p>

<p>If I do get in off the waitlist, I'll look at how much aid they are offering and go from there, but I wouldn't still take the classes at Cal (As, I wouldn't get the aid from being a student).</p>

<p>Right now I'm getting ready for Cal Day (with my hundreds of questions that will hopefully allow me to know exactly what classes I will take Freshman year and this summer, to prepare for CalSO), and trying to get in contact with advisors and people that I need to get to know.</p>

<p>If you do get accepted at Stanford I would definitely inform Cal as well as ask Stanford if that would be acceptable. They may not accept the units for some reason, like you didn't transfer with them, or some sort of technicality. No point in paying the higher rate, and having to retake those classes in the fall.</p>

<p>I am also very excited to go to Berkeley. I've done a lot of research on the school and am loving it more and more as each day goes by. Anyway, thanks for the input.</p>

<p>Yeah, I probably should be a little less excited, as I've prepared so much that I'm going to have to wait for everything. </p>

<p>I was selected for verification for the FAFSA, and I literally drove the paperwork in the day I received the verification form. Constantly checking myBerkeleyApplication waiting for new things to pop up and fill out. I should probably just focus more on my AP tests.</p>