Fun things to do with kids in Harrisburg

<p>My mom, my sister, and I are touring Bucknell, Dickinson, and Franklin and Marshall. We are staying in Carlisle the first night. My younger sister is 9 and I am having a devil of a time finding a good activity for her on our first night. Any good museums, restaurants, shops, or anything else like that? We don't have time to do Hershey Park and we were going to do Chocolate World but it's only 9-10 and we won't be there then.</p>

<p>The short answer is no.</p>

<p>There are -- somewhat surprisingly -- some good Indian restaurants in downtown Harrisburg. There are some fun things to do on City Island, off the Market Street and Walnut Street bridges -- minigolf, I think, and a sightseeing boat on the Susquehanna, and maybe batting cages. Also a minor-league baseball team.</p>

<p>You can check out the Whitaker Center, which has shows, and a (small) science museum.</p>

<p>The Farm Show is fun when it's on, which isn't now.</p>

<p>You can go to the movies.</p>

<p>Or you can go to Hershey Park anyway, and just not stay long.</p>

<p>When are you going to be in Harrisburg? If you like dance, the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (based in Carlisle) has its annual June Show at the Whitaker Center from June 23-26. The performances vary from night to night, but feature dancers from age six to 18+, and this is a great school with a long history of producing good dancers (this my favorite thing about Carlisle, my hometown).</p>

<p>JHS's post has reminded me that I've never actually done the science museum part of the Whitaker Center, though I did go when the museum was elsewhere (I was a young elementary schooler at the time).</p>

<p>There's a few museums in Hershey. The one by Hersheypark I haven't been to in a very long time, and a new one opened in downtown Hershey last year, but I haven't been there.</p>

<p>Sometimes there are concerts at the Hersheypark Stadium or the Giant Center (also in Hershey).</p>

<p>And...if you like Wegmans (a grocery store), there's one in Mechanicsburg (between Carlisle and Harrisburg). My sister (now 20) considers it to be a pretty suitable hangout.</p>

<p>Restaurants...I like Passage to India in Harrisburg. Piatto's in Carlisle is pretty good for italian, but it's kind of pricey. Isaac's for sandwiches (this is a chain - there are a few locations throughout the area). In high school, we ate a lot at Red Robin, Olive Garden, and Friendly's. There are lots of chains.</p>

<p>I found this on-line Carlisle</a> PA Museum - Museum Scavenger Hunt Tours</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help! Does anyone know anything about the Hershey Park Zoo. Could we be entertained for 2+ hours?</p>

<p>I took my kids to Hershey Park several times while they were in middle school. Isn't there an underground cavern in that area for those who are interested in that sort of a thing? Also I thought there was a petting zoo, but am not certain.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I took my kids to Hershey Park several times while they were in middle school. Isn't there an underground cavern in that area for those who are interested in that sort of a thing? Also I thought there was a petting zoo, but am not certain.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Indian Echo Caverns! I went there a few times during the summer with my day care and I did enjoy it.</p>

<p>Hersheypark doesn't have a petting zoo. Zooamerica (there's a fee but it's free with admission to the park) is a regular zoo with animals native to North America. It's not huge fine for two hours (can easily combine it with a trip to Chocolate World), if you like zoos.</p>

<p>leave harrisburg... jk :)</p>

<p>A drive-in movie. In Dillsburg - just outside of Harrisburg.</p>